"Rutilus, Rutilus.."

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Lea Dweller
Pike

Re: "Rutilus, Rutilus.."

Post by Lea Dweller »

Another wonderful creation from Leszek, individual and unique! Craftmanship does not get any better, congratulations to you both for making it happen!
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Marvellous! When you consider Leszek has only just started making reels he has already found his own style....you can tell he made that reel immediately!

Paul the TIR, if I understand it correctly means that your reel shows just 6/10,000 of an inch deflection at the circumference of the rim when spun slowly. So when it was turned on the lathe it was only 3/10,000 of an inch from a perfect circle of metal......

Now if you've ever set the tappets on a car or motorbike and consider that the thinnest strip of metal in a car engineer's set of feeler gauges is usually 1.5 thousandths of an inch, or 0.0015, usually spoken as " one and a half thou" .... you can see that that thin tiny strip of metal is FIVE times thicker than the slight deviance from perfection that your reel has.

The best Rapidex I have here has 0.002 deflection....your reel has a mere fraction of that. When you spin the reel and brake it with your thumb you will feel the difference.

TemeLAD
Crucian Carp

Post by TemeLAD »

Stunning! :Hat:
"I can't wait to buy a bamboo pole and a filament of line and a tube of breadcrumbs. I want to participate in this practice which allows a man to be alone with himself in dignity and peace. It seems a very precious thing to me".

John Steinbeck

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Paul the TIR, if I understand it correctly means that your reel shows just 6/10,000 of an inch deflection at the circumference of the rim when spun slowly. So when it was turned on the lathe it was only 3/10,000 of an inch from a perfect circle of metal......
Well Nobby, not being able to use a lathe, I find this precision accuracy mind boggling, I have one of the Gary Mills Wensum Speedia replica reels and it has noticeable wobble, in my opinion the wensum reel is not in the same league!

Pb845
Minnow

Post by Pb845 »

Oh, that's a gorgeous reel. Love it, well done !!!!

Pb845
Minnow

Post by Pb845 »

And, Nobby, yes you're right, TIR is "total indicated reading".

So it refers to a dial gauge on the perimeter, where the total sweep of the pointer is 0.0006" from minimum to maximum reading.
For those of us who also like metric units, that's on only a TIR of 15 microns. 15 microns for goodness sake !!!!

I'm guessing that much of the might be working clearance in the bearings.

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

I'm guessing that much of the might be working clearance in the bearings.
There are no bearings, it is a true pin :Wink:

Pb845
Minnow

Post by Pb845 »

Yes, sorry Paul, of course, I should have said clearance on the bearing surfaces.

JimmyBobkin
Crucian Carp

Post by JimmyBobkin »

Stunning. Is there a greater reel maker out there. ?

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Leszek, a thing of beauty and exceptional workmanship as ever. I'm sure Paul will have endless hours of pleasure using it.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”