Xylonite handles

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Duckett
Tench

Xylonite handles

Post by Duckett »

You'll forgive the ignorance of someone who's only been at this for a few years and has only recently acquired my first two 'pins with xylonite handles, but is there anything one can do to slow down or stop their deterioration?

I've looked here and on-line but found nothing, so I suspect the answer is a huge NO! However, I prefer conservation to replacement and my vintage reels are to use, not to look at. So, I'd feel a bit stupid if I didn't ask and then later found out that there was something I could have done.

All four handles are crazed but not split or chipped.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Harry H
Tench

Re: Xylonite handles

Post by Harry H »

Well if they've lasted this long without splitting or chipping I'd leave them alone, they'll probably out last us lot. :Chuckle:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Harry H wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:02 pm Well if they've lasted this long without splitting or chipping I'd leave them alone, they'll probably out last us lot. :Chuckle:
Yep, leave 'em alone, they'll be fine.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Thanks for this. Obvious really!
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”