Making an Aerial-Match

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Crucian
Eel

Re: Making an Aerial-Match

Post by Crucian »

Looking better with each instalment Leszek, but do try and stay warm :Hat:

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

Watermole, what wonderful progress indeed. I'm interested to see how the solid floor/pillar arrangement is going to work - very innovative. I agree that they do kink the line to a degree but the look SO much better. I wonder how many pillars would be needed to prevent the problem? From what I've seen of aerials, which is little, the most common constructions is 12 pillars. Could the problem be solved whilst keeping the "look?
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Lovatt
Perch

Post by Lovatt »

I would say the reel is coming along nicely, if the drums floor was ventilated apart from making it lighter would it make the spool any weaker? I have seen several reel spools ventilated like that in the past, looking forward to the next post and if I may say, thank god the weathers warming up I can finally get out there and wet a line.

Trevor

Evert van der Plas
Perch

Post by Evert van der Plas »

Wow That is something different and it is a pleasure to watch this project and pictures you post. Thank you for these lessons again :-) you are the master Watermole+

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

..It seems that the gap between my posts on this are getting ever further apart!

However, I do assure all of you that things are progressing, albeit slowly and If I can clear immediate outstanding work within the next few weeks, it will get back underway again.

I had nearly finished another build and noticed that my little stock of reel seats was down to the last one and so needed to make a few more.
On measuring up the Aerial-Match seat, it was found to be 3/16" longer, 1/32" narrower and 1/2 a degree shallower angle than the regular size.
Not only that, the fixing holes were 1/32" further apart!
Now, it probably wouldn't matter two hoots about these details, but in the interests of faithful reproduction, I decided to make a special batch of seats, just for these reels. This meant some additional calculations and tooling modification, but I think it will be worth it in the end.

Here are some pictures of the two batches being worked together. The seats are still not finished as there is a radius to be cut in on the seat base, to match the top of the lug on the backplate and I still need to drill and counterbore the holes to accept the proper screws, but this will be done later on..

The first thing was to cut up some rectangular brass bar to lengths, not forgetting to make the A-M ones longer..

Next, it was cut down to the two separate widths..

The next step was to put the handle radius on the top..

This was all done on the lathe with the vertical slide attachment, as is the drilling of the fixing holes, not forgetting that the A-M ones are further apart by 1/32"..

The last machining stage was to put on the two different tapers and ribbing grooves in my normal seats.
Care was needed here as the base of the A-M seats is wider than other ones.

The A-M ones are on the left. They may only be 3/16" longer and 1/32" narrower, but you can see the difference between the two batches.
I now have to hand file the radii on the ends and cut the location radii on the bases, but as you see, a start has been made and we are getting there..

Thank you for your patience! :Hat:

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

As ever Wm+, brilliant :Hat:

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

I read your words and I see the results, but the bit in between is way beyond my comprehension, brilliant! :surrender:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

Oh to be able to make things like that. Fascinating as always.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Jardine
Perch

Post by Jardine »

Its all so impressive and your work is beautiful.
How many hours will go into making this one reel?
Kind regards
Mem

Lovatt
Perch

Post by Lovatt »

machining a dream, what a lovely reel it will be fantastic.

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”