Making an Aerial-Match

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Pallenpool
Zander

Re: Making an Aerial-Match

Post by Pallenpool »

Words are not enough
:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

For those who seek such detail the comparative weights of an original Aerial Match and an Aerial Match 2 is that the original is approx. 170grms and the Match 2 is approx. 195 grms as weighed on the kitchen scales which are not too accurate but it confirms the original to be a little lighter. In use I doubt it would make a jot of difference.

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

ImageImageImage

Some photos of an original Aerial Match and the Aerial Match 2

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Wow!

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

I did own an Aerial Match a few years ago and it was a lovely reel. Sadly I could not get on with the line guard set up for right hand wind, so I sold it. This creation from Watermole+ has all of the original advantages plus so much more, a wonderful result!
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

During the course of the week I received a small well packed parcel from the south-west and carefully removing the layers revealed an inscribed box which within lay a black circular reel pouch. Inside that lay the prototype Aerial March 2 which Leszek sent to me as the first of his testers an honour in itself as we have never met.

The testing is quite simple on a use what lines you want and fish as you would normally so it was loaded with 4lb bs line and yesterday I headed to a local pool to see if a Crucian or two might be tempted or perhaps one of the very few fine tench that inhabit the water.

I set the reel up with a James Kennet Perfection float fishing in around 4 feet of water up to 3 rod lengths out with a float carrying 2BB of shot and terminating in a size 12 barbless hook. Bait would be either prawns or sweetcorn with a small quantity of hemp and mashed bread.

The pool was extensively covered in leaves and twigs (the photo of the pool was taken later in the day when the breeze had cleared the debris to the top end of the pool away from me)and I had enormous difficulty finding a spot to cast to where the line and bait were not hung up.

I started with a prawn as bait and after a couple of bobs of the float which did not develop the float suddenly shot away and the strike connected with a Carp which accelerated away towards the willow tree in the corner. If he got in there it would be curtains as I have lost Carp under that tree before but with the rod well bent and the line singing I managed to turn the fish and steer it clear just in time. There then followed a number of powerful runs and a couple of further attempts to get under the tree but the net was ready and as the fish surfaced for the third time the prize was secured.

First fish on the prototype an 11.5lb Common Carp I was delighted. The swim as such was ruined with the amount of touring that had gone on but I fished on in the same spot - casting and retrieving with a reel of great quality. It runs far smoother than my original Aerial Match and the ratchet is much lighter - it sounded like a swiss watch it was that smooth and soft but what a joy to use as if there was ever going to be any doubt.

I went on to catch a Bream of between 1lb and 2lb a little later on sweetcorn but what a day.

The casting and retrieving, line lay and ability to handle a good double in tight spaces demonstrated this is some splendid reel and there are going to be 12 owners of this reel in the near future and whilst a joy just to marvel at its lines and form such is insignificant when compared to using it for the purpose for which it was so beautifully made.

I have another five testing trips to undertake before handing the reel on to the next tester. I shall visit different waters and use different techniques and hopefully add successful reports in this thread.

ImageImageImageImageImage

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Wow Keith, what a test for the reel an 11lb’er, look forward to the next test

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Well that's christened then!...and some!! Bravo PH.

This has made me think....some folk like a strong ratchet that helps fight the fish, others, like me, only really want one that stops them getting tangles when netting a fish. Perhaps a spring pre-tensioner would cover both needs?

That one is metal, but I've made just as effective ones from a notched matchstick.

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

Nobby wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:16 am Well that's christened then!...and some!! Bravo PH.

This has made me think....some folk like a strong ratchet that helps fight the fish, others, like me, only really want one that stops them getting tangles when netting a fish. Perhaps a spring pre-tensioner would cover both needs?

That one is metal, but I've made just as effective ones from a notched matchstick.
Aren’t the simple ideas usually the best? Well done Nobby so simple it is brilliant.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Such a beautiful but faithful recreation! Marvelous Leszek.

Keith, you certainly christened the reel. Terrific to get captures like that into its heratige early.
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”