Making an Aerial-Match

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Chavender
Eel

Re: Making an Aerial-Match

Post by Chavender »

good too see your better and ready to get back at it ,recovery comes first ,as always great too follow your deeds .a very enigmatic reel .
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Evert van der Plas
Perch

Post by Evert van der Plas »

:Hat: I am looking forward to your new work Sir and good to see you feel better now

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

Thank you Evert, and everyone else for your kind words and wishes.

A quick update on the situation..

I am much better now but just have to stop rushing around so much!
However, whilst confined to home, I have been completing detailed drawings of this reel and can tell you that it is definitely going to happen and that a start will be made in the not too distant future. The only change to plans is that the number of reels made will be increased to SIX. If these are successful, there may be an additional number made at a later date.
I have already invested a substantial amount of cash in materials and 12 billets of 4.5” aluminium alloy are now on order, together with some brass and other items of tooling. The old Myford lathe has been undergoing a bit of a clean up in readiness with new drive belts fitted and clutch overhauled.
I have almost finished my cam-copier adaptor, to enable me to reproduce the backplate as one complete piece of metal, without any need for screw-on lugs which are structural weak points, especially the reel seat. It will need a try-out test first though, to prove the accuracy.
The nickel silver has now arrived from the U.S.A. for the spokes so it is all coming together now..

Each reel will be made to either left-or right hand wind according to the owners preference and engraved with its own serial number. I have checked every detail on an original and these will be extremely close indeed to that dimensionally, but will be offered with a unique modification to the line drum, to make it more friendly to modern monofilament lines and not kink them.

I will bring you more updates when production starts.

Best wishes,

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Leigh

Post by Leigh »

Looking forward to seeing the updates on this project
Watermole+.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

I am really looking forward to reading about and seeing the progress that wm+ makes with this project. I am excited for the eventual recipients of the special reels that will be created. I will never tire of using, showing and looking at the wonderful reel that was made for me, it is a very special feeling thanks to the efforts of a very talented man!
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Evert van der Plas
Perch

Post by Evert van der Plas »

:Hat:
Watermole+ wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:53 pm Thank you Evert, and everyone else for your kind words and wishes.

A quick update on the situation..

I am much better now but just have to stop rushing around so much!
However, whilst confined to home, I have been completing detailed drawings of this reel and can tell you that it is definitely going to happen and that a start will be made in the not too distant future. The only change to plans is that the number of reels made will be increased to SIX. If these are successful, there may be an additional number made at a later date.
I have already invested a substantial amount of cash in materials and 12 billets of 4.5” aluminium alloy are now on order, together with some brass and other items of tooling. The old Myford lathe has been undergoing a bit of a clean up in readiness with new drive belts fitted and clutch overhauled.
I have almost finished my cam-copier adaptor, to enable me to reproduce the backplate as one complete piece of metal, without any need for screw-on lugs which are structural weak points, especially the reel seat. It will need a try-out test first though, to prove the accuracy.
The nickel silver has now arrived from the U.S.A. for the spokes so it is all coming together now..

Each reel will be made to either left-or right hand wind according to the owners preference and engraved with its own serial number. I have checked every detail on an original and these will be extremely close indeed to that dimensionally, but will be offered with a unique modification to the line drum, to make it more friendly to modern monofilament lines and not kink them.

I will bring you more updates when production starts.

Best wishes,

wm+
:Hat: Can't wait to see it Wm. i don't have all the tools to make reels like you and they will never look like your work but i can't help it that i have to try to make my self a new reel with the tools i have and your knowledge you share all ready with us. so thanks for that. you give me the inspiration to make a reel before and will start on a new project soon.

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

Well, I have to apologize yet again for not posting on this for some time, but things have been happening behind the scenes and materials have started to arrive in quantity now.
It's not all in by a long shot..as much as this again is still on order, but we now have enough to make a start and no expense has been spared in procuring the best metals available.
The aluminium alloy billets are 6082 T6, sometimes called "Aerospace" material by others.
The steel for the spindles is a better one than 17/4 ph (precipitation hardening) stainless and comes with a Certificate of Conformity to prove the quality. The spindle bush material is drawn Aluminium bronze, not inferior cast stuff.

I have already done some trials with my cam-copier attachment and can report that the results are favourable...very favourable indeed and far better than I had hoped for, so hopefully it will only be another few weeks before we can make a serious start on the first reel..watch this space!

...and Thank you for your patience.. :Hat:

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Looking forward to the next instalment Wm+.

Lovatt
Perch

Post by Lovatt »

Hi Wm+ I am also looking forward to the next very interesting post

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Even reading about the high class materials and seeing those billets is exciting.

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”