Centrepin end-float grubscrew and centre-boss screw sizes

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Nobby
Wild Carp

Centrepin end-float grubscrew and centre-boss screw sizes

Post by Nobby »

Rapidex, Trudex and the post-War variants, such as Float Queen, Floatcraft and Perfection Flick Em.

Centreboss mounting screws: 7BA x 5/16" ( 7mm)

End-float grub screw: 4BA x 7/32" ( 4.7mm)

Pre-War Perfection Flick Em

End-float grub screw 6BA x 5/32" ( 3.97mm)

My thanks to Watermole+ and Shed Monkey for the sizes. Please reply with your own findings

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Re: Centrepin end-float grubscrew and centre-boss screw sizes

Post by LuckyLuca »

Cheers Nobby, good info to have :Hat:
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

later improved model speedia's are also 6ba (steel) ,the earlier ones are bigger but still probably ba threaded (brass) .I would measure the early ones but don't have a thread checker comb tool .keep meaning too get one .i'll see what I can do.
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Yes, I must buy one too, Steve!

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

I Have a nice old screw pitch gauge and I take it this is the tool you are talking about ?
I measured the grub screw of an Allcocks C815 at 48 threads per inch so 6 BA ? Quite short at .125 (1/8) or 3.2 mm
To check I was doing it properly I also measured post war and pre war flick em reels and got the same BA as the first post with just minor variations in grub screw length.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Thanks Keston.

I think we may have a problem Steve. I took my Pefection Flick Em grub screws to see if they fitted the Speedias. They didn't.

With Shed Monkey saying the PFE grub screw is 6BA and it not fitting the Speedia I'm drawn to concluding the Speedia possibly isn't 6BA after all. Incidentally, it is the early Speedia that has this small thread...in its 'pill-like' centreboss, not the later one which is a larger size.

I tried the boss mounting screw of a Trudex, 7BA apparently, and that didn't fit either. I'm wondering if Speedias were Whitworth??

So PFE and Aerial C815 should have the same thread...6BA .... can anyone check if they have both reels, please?

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

I just checked an improved Speedia and it has a 6BA thread the same as the ore war PFE and C815 . It is steel though as Steve said and has a shoulder in it so not sure if that's why you couldn't interchange them .

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Grice & Young Avon Royal supreme is 4BA
I tried interchange with the post war Flick em and the grub screw worked fine although the Grice and young grub is much longer so protrudes well above the boss on the Flick em. Oddly though I couldn't get the shorter flick em grub to sit happily and screw into the grice &young .

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Keston wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:58 pm I just checked an improved Speedia and it has a 6BA thread the same as the ore war PFE and C815 . It is steel though as Steve said and has a shoulder in it so not sure if that's why you couldn't interchange them .

No it wasn't that...the thread wouldn't even get started...they must have changed the specification.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Keston wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:17 pm Grice & Young Avon Royal supreme is 4BA
I tried interchange with the post war Flick em and the grub screw worked fine although the Grice and young grub is much longer so protrudes well above the boss on the Flick em. Oddly though I couldn't get the shorter flick em grub to sit happily and screw into the grice &young .
I have found that some screws have been expanded by placing a tool in the screw slot and bending the two 'halves' apart. I don't know if this was factory done or by an owner who wanted the screw to grip in the reel more...OK, I suppose, .... it's not an unheard of idea, .... but only if you get that expansion in exactly the right place.

It can be a problem playing about with 60 year old threads.....if they have been damaged, like half the nuts and bolts on the average vintage British motorcycle, you can go mad trying to work out what is going on.......

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”