New project a home made centrepin 4''

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Watermole+
Chub

Re: New project a home made centrepin 4''

Post by Watermole+ »

This is very impressive Evert and your efforts are to be congratulated..Well done! :Thumb:

You are absolutely right in that the line pillars have to be exactly the same length, otherwise you will get a run-out on the face.
I made a lot of mistakes doing this, but found that the best way was to firstly cut them all as accurately as you can to the desired length, allowing about 0.005" (about 0.1mm) extra. You then measure them all, put the shortest to one side then carefully cut a tiny bit of each, one at a time, until they are all the same as that shortest one. It also might help to make an extra one-or two, just in case one goes undersize..and this does happen.

I also made a "gap gauge" about 0.001" shorter from a piece of spare metal and when you assemble the two plates with the pillars, put the gauge between the plates where the pillars are, each pillar in turn and do up the screws until the gauge just touches. By the way, you minimise distortion if you do the pillar screws up in opposite pairs-rather like the nuts on an engine cylinder head are tightened.

Hoping this may be of some help..

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Evert van der Plas
Perch

Post by Evert van der Plas »

Thank you very much WM it is your work that encouraged me to make a reel like this, i really love the reels made by you and i don.t even come close to your work but it is a first time for me and i hope to improve my skills with this project to make them better. and yes your comments are a great help to me WM thank you for that :-)
Regards Evert van der Plas

Shed_Monkey
Grayling

Post by Shed_Monkey »

Evert - I think you are being very humble. Considering that this is the first time you have used a metal lathe and the first reel you have made from scratch your progress to date is amazing! I wish I had the skill and tools to build a reel myself, however since I have neither I must content myself with making "sticks" as my wife calls them.

I think subsequent reels are going to get better and better as you learn from this project.

Cheers
Steve

Evert van der Plas
Perch

I made landing nets, float tubes and i refurbish reels for some time now but this is something different Steve before i do or make something for the reel i think it over first and look for other possibility's to make things or how it will look, I worked it out in my head before i start and it takes a day or two before make it when it is new just to make sure it can+t go wrong and if it does i start over again. do you post your floats on facebook as well Steve

Shed_Monkey
Grayling

Post by Shed_Monkey »

No, I haven't made any floats for a long time - I'm mainly working on learning the ropes with split cane rod building (my wife says "Oh nice - you made another stick"). Several years ago I did do a little reading and research around making a reel but concluded it needed more tooling than I had available.

Evert van der Plas
Perch

Tools yes always the problem, i was lucky to buy the lathe for a very small price it needed some work to make it work good but i am happy with it for now. there comes a day that i want a advanced lathe perhaps but have to do a lot off savings for that, it is a expensive hobby for sure but when it is all there you will enjoy working with it

Evert van der Plas
Perch

Line pillars made so far, now polishing, measure them and bring them all to the the exact lenght and tap a thread on both ends for the brass screws, this will keep me busy for some time :-)

Evert van der Plas
Perch

Waiting for the right size screws :-(

Evert van der Plas
Perch

start to make the reel foot holder / cross for the back plate. i made it from brass strip soldered to gather, bring it in shape and polished the parts and i am pleased with the result

Evert van der Plas
Perch

Before i attach the cross the inlay get a layer epoxy to make it nice and shiny looking but fist i have to bring on some screws under that for the ratchet parts,

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”