Record Breaker problem

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Wagtail
Arctic Char

Record Breaker problem

Post by Wagtail »

Gents, my Allcocks Record Breaker has a problem if you can help advise?

The main spindle is secured to the back plate by a large nut, but the nut is coming loose as the reel turns. Do I just tighten it down as hard as possible or would you advise some kind of glue to hold the thing securely. The reel has a couple of dinks on the spool edge and is a user not a collector's item (!) so I'm thinking of superglue of similar. All opinions welcome :Hat:
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Re: Record Breaker problem

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Have a look at the Loctite products - I would suspect them to be better than superglue. The advantage with the Loctite products is that whilst they hold the parts (nuts and bolts) together you can take them apart again if you need to. It certainly works on my vintage motorcycles renowned for being able to shake many an nut and bolt loose.

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Loctite is the stuff to use, dinks in the rim can be machined and polished out, my highly modified reel is pictured below.

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Isn't that a bit difficult to use with all those floats superglued to it...... :Hahaha:
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

RBTraditional wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:21 pm Isn't that a bit difficult to use with all those floats superglued to it...... :Hahaha:
:Chuckle:

Thanks everyone for the advice, I guess you mean thread-locking Loctite, will trey to get some tomorrow :Hat:
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Loctite do a number of thread locking liquids and they can be a bit expensive to buy if your only going to use one drop....it might be better to pop into a local motorbike shop......or call around to me in South Surrey if you're passing.

Here's the current thread-locking range:

http://www.loctite.co.uk/threadlocking-9150.htm

270 is the one that's been around for ages...and it works. I've held camshafts together with the stuff!

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

Another vote for Loctite... :Thumb:

Our service engineer in the laboratory , used and recommended Loctite 222. He used it on air pumps, compressors & drive/gear boxes, and they would vibrate horrendously. Its especially good for assembles where one might have to dismantle occasionally. I've used it the retaining screw on a centrepin handles, in which the screw had the habit of working loose and dropping off....

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

Wagtail I used to use my Record Breaker for carp.....a lot.

I stopped using it when I cut my finger badly on the rim whilst attempting to stop a large specimen from reaching a lily-bed 40 yards away......only just :Wink:

I know the unhooking matt brigade will start their nonsense but in mitigation the ground was soft, the fish stalked with a minimum of tackle and the portrait taking but seconds, thus ensuring the fish is back in the water in mere minutes, rather than the time it takes some to pose with their fish.

Anyway the simplest solution to your problem, which is one I encountered with this reel, is to use Plumber's Tape on the thread. It works :Thumb:

The other benefit is that it is not permanent and very cheap; just how I like things :Hahaha:

As ever,.........

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

Thanks all :Hat:

I will try Moley's plumbers tape fix first as I've got some in the garage, failing that it will have to be Loctite.

By the way that's a lovely looking common there, Moley :clap:

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

Finally got round to trying Moley's plumbers tape idea - works a treat so thank you, Sir :Hat: :Hat:

I've also lightly sanded one dink smooth and for the larger dink, which had damaged the metal edge slightly, I've used a tiny amount of JB Weld to fill and support the damaged area. A dab of black paint has given me a tidy looking and perfectly useable reel :Thumb:

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”