Repairing a Rapidex

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Kingfisher2007

Repairing a Rapidex

Post by Kingfisher2007 »

Hi I brought a J W Young off eBay. Which didn't have the plastic boss and release lever. I brought a spare set from Gary Mills. Putting it together. The lever spring keeps jumping out. The spool is too tight. Am I missing something ? I am considering getting another set from Gary as it could down to my fumbling. I have also replaced a boss which was cracked on my Trudex. With no problem. The spring and lever were not touched and remained in position...

Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Repairing a Rapidex

Post by Nobby »

Can you put an image up? I seem to recall it's possible to put the spring in the wrong way and it nearly fits, but not quite.

Tomeland
Ruffe

Post by Tomeland »

IIRC the spring has one straight leg and one curved one, and has to go the right way round. I think the curved leg goes around the screw hole and the straight against the lever.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

That sounds about right...and the spring is so close to the nearest mounting screw they just touch.

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Nobby wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:16 am That sounds about right...and the spring is so close to the nearest mounting screw they just touch.
Quite correct, as I learnt to my cost. :hairpull:

Kingfisher2007

Post by Kingfisher2007 »

Hi Guys.. That is right the curved side goes round the screw hole. the straight by the lever. put it pops off after I have screwed down the boss. It is a pity the lever does not have a ridge on it.

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

Be careful with the removal and replacement, I had one ping out and land on the top of the kitchen cupboard. That's an hour of my life I'm not getting back.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Tomeland
Ruffe

Post by Tomeland »

Marc wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:37 am Be careful with the removal and replacement, I had one ping out and land on the top of the kitchen cupboard. That's an hour of my life I'm not getting back.
:laugh1: I think we've all done that.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Before fitting the boss to the reel, did you undo the boss end float grub screw? just thinking this may cause a problem.

Stour Otter
Grayling

Post by Stour Otter »

Marc wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:37 am Be careful with the removal and replacement, I had one ping out and land on the top of the kitchen cupboard. That's an hour of my life I'm not getting back.
I was given a good tip some years ago when fiddling about with reels and springs. Place the reel inside a large clear plastic bag when working on springs, you feel a bit CIS but it does save a lot of time trying to find the dam things all over the room.

Stour Otter
The good angler is not the one with expensive equipment. Common sense, observation and trying to realize
what is happening above and below water will catch fish no matter what price equipment you fish with.
L.A. Parker - This Fishing 1948

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”