damaged Allcocks flick em

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Kirpan
Bleak

damaged Allcocks flick em

Post by Kirpan »

I have mentioned this reel in the allcocks section, just to recap, bought this reel at boot sale,when I got home I found the edge of the drum damaged, should I file it back to a smooth finish and use it, or would that be a disaster waiting to happen, or try and repair it with an epoxy putty ? by the way the reel spins fine
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Stour Otter
Grayling

Re: damaged Allcocks flick em

Post by Stour Otter »

Interesting post Kirpan. I would go down the "Poxy Putty" repair route first as you have nothing to loose. A build up on the inside with plasticine would certainly give you an edge to mould to. Maybe a build up of "Epoxy Steel Adhesive" applied as it starts to set may be considered, and then rubbed down with wet'n'dry. Mind you, you would have to work fast!

Regards
Stour Otter
The good angler is not the one with expensive equipment. Common sense, observation and trying to realize
what is happening above and below water will catch fish no matter what price equipment you fish with.
L.A. Parker - This Fishing 1948

Tomeland
Ruffe

Post by Tomeland »

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

Like I said before you can try the epoxy filler. But the problem is the contact area is very small it would be difficult to get a good hold on the fine broken edge.
Use it for spare parts mate.

Evert van der Plas
Perch

Post by Evert van der Plas »

Epoxy filler works great i did some bigger repairs with that, one thing ... work in thin layers for strength off the repaired piece

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”