Mitchell 300 black paint advice please

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Rod
Grayling

Re: Mitchell 300 black paint advice please

Post by Rod »

Nobby said, "a sort of stove enameling, I suppose?", When I was a kid it was felt that if your bike frame was Stove Enameled, it was superior to any other finish, but being hard up and happy, I could not afford that, so my dad got me some paint called "Brushing Belco", and if applied carefully you could not tell the difference, the brush marks would disappear before your eyes, and it would fill minor scratches. Some time back I tried to find some but with no luck, does anyone know if it's still available, as this was extremely hard wearing, and could be applied with a soft brush, so making it a god send for small delicate work. :Hat:
An old man, who's only pleasure left in life, is sitting by some water, fiddling with his maggots?

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I remember Brushing Belco....my Dad showed me it too...and I think it was a cellulose based paint. I bought a similar product in Halfords a few years ago and that is indeed what I use on my Mitchell reels.

Rod
Grayling

Post by Rod »

Thanks for that Nobby, I will have a look at Halfords. :Hat:
An old man, who's only pleasure left in life, is sitting by some water, fiddling with his maggots?

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

Rod wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:50 pm Thanks for that Nobby, I will have a look at Halfords. :Hat:
If you find something please post details here as I have a couple of 300s that need attention.
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”