New Reel making project..

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
BlackSheep

Re: New Reel making project..

Post by BlackSheep »

Yep, you can add my name to the waiting list as well.

A real thing of beauty.

Gudgeon Jim

Post by Gudgeon Jim »

Tis a thing of beauty, Well done :thumb:
It always amazes me when i see something as well made which was made up in a home workshop with hobby tools.

TemeLAD
Crucian Carp

Post by TemeLAD »

This is my first post since joining the forum a couple of months back. The quality of this thread has been exemplary throughout and one of the most interesting I have ever had the pleasure of reading!

Watermole I can only echo early feedback - Awesome!

A work of art and thank you for sharing both the images and description of the process not to mention the finished reel.
"I can't wait to buy a bamboo pole and a filament of line and a tube of breadcrumbs. I want to participate in this practice which allows a man to be alone with himself in dignity and peace. It seems a very precious thing to me".

John Steinbeck

Chevin
Brown Trout

Post by Chevin »

I can only agree and echo the words written so far, what a talent and skill to be able to make something like this.

I have in my possesion an Allcock Match Aerial that has been butchered by what was obviously a very unskilled engineer, If only I had half of your skill and talent then this reel would see life again.
"A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance"

H.T. Sheringham

The Tuesday Swim
Grayling

Post by The Tuesday Swim »

Can I book one please?
Last edited by The Tuesday Swim on Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

To Everyone..

Thank you once again very sincerely for the many kind and appreciative words & comments about this project.
However, I feel i ought to say something more, because some of you out there have strongly hinted that you would like to own a similar reel and would not mind paying whatever for it.
Such words I have taken as a very great compliment and I am feeling a little embarrassed about it all..in the nicest possible sense of course!
I started this because I like trying to make things as a hobby and have always liked Henry Coxon's idea of a free-running, Aerial reel with a wooden back and non-metallic drum and was not prepared to fork out the crazy prices asked for a half-decent example. Also, I felt that the manufacture of one-or two examples would make for an interesting thread; nothing much out of the ordinary and was certainly not prepared for your responses!

In the event, it turned out a bit better than originally envisaged and was quite rewarding to do, but.. it was a long process and at times I have to say that I wished I had never started it because of the time and other demands taken to make some of the smaller and exacting parts. If I had some more suitable machine tools at my disposal, it would have undoubtedly been a far quicker process but although I now know, how to do many of the jobs, it will still take time..and that is the one commodity that is no longer on my side or taken for granted.

I would like to say that, nothing would be more pleasing than to offer a number of these reels for sale-at an affordable price, not beyond the reach of all of you out there..but realistically, it would be a foolish undertaking and not one I could honour. It is not a question of not being willing or cost; 30 or so years ago, it would have been feasible-but not any more and so I must-most regretfully-say that, I am unable to undertake any commercial venture into the world of reel manufacture, for which I am most sincerely sorry to disappoint you..
Also-and most importantly-Mrs. watermole+ has been making noises about the time spent in the garage without some important household item emerging.. the parlous state of the guttering and general house decor in particular have also been pointed out..a reasonably valid argument as it happens..

..However! I learnt quite a bit about the different processes and am giving that substance on the TFF Aerial thread-which I hope you will find equally interesting. It's not much to look at so far but keep watching!
This is being done as a basic step-by-step and I would like to think that someone out there is also having a go at this. It doesn't matter if everything doesn't turn out perfect or falls short of what you would like, the important thing is that you have a try at it and if I can pass on any help on any detail, please post or PM.

Yours sincerely and most respectfully.. :hat:

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Spoken like a true gent sir. I'm sure everyone following this next project will undoubtably find it every bit as interesting as the first one :hat:
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Loop Erimder wrote:Spoken like a true gent sir. I'm sure everyone following this next project will undoubtably find it every bit as interesting as the first one :hat:
Hear hear. :thumb:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

The Tuesday Swim
Grayling

Post by The Tuesday Swim »

Watermole, that is a very gracious way of explaining your situation and an answer I was very much expecting, we all look forward to the next project.

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

May as well bump this one up too for all those that have not seen this one
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”