New Reel making project..

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: New Reel making project..

Post by Nobby »

I think heavilly modifying screws and bolts 'counts' as making them WM!

All for £35....it's hard to take it in......

It looks even better in your hand!

I've been looking at lathes on eBay since this project started...sadly the car failed its MOT and the tax was due this month. It's not going to happen.

Richard C
Brown Trout

Post by Richard C »

Think what I like most of all.....it looks like a pristine condition old reel, not a brand spanking new one.
Engineering skills like yours WM+ reminds me of what used to be 'great' about this country. People like yourself, in a workshop, overcoming technical and engineering problems with pencil and paper, skill and ability. No computers telling people what to do, no robotic machine putting inferior parts together that lasts 5 minutes. Just skills and determination that set a benchmark for quality. Something this country could be proud of.

:shocked: Crikey!, that sounds like one of my Grandad's rants! I'm only in my mid 40's! :hahaha:
"We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.".
T. S Eliot
http://richard-cleaver.blogspot.co.uk/

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Truly astounding. A lovely piece of work.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

Amazing sir! :hat:

Are you accepting orders for more? :wink:
"piscator non solum piscatur"

CWK
Perch

Post by CWK »

I've been enthralled by this project and am absolutely amazed at the final result . It's truely an exquisite reel which is testament to your skill and ingenuity . Long may you enjoy it sir..

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

An truly incredible feat of engineering and you are far too modest wm+. Hats off to you, sir. :hat:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

PDuffield
Grayling

Post by PDuffield »

I make a few floats and restore a few rods to a standard I'm happy with, but I cannot believe, despite your assurances wm+, that I could ever make something so wonderful as that reel. I hope your patience and effort are rewarded by many hours of pleasure using it.

Haydn Clarke

Post by Haydn Clarke »

I'm with Paul. You think you're half decent at doing a few things and then once in a while someone produces something that makes you feel wholey inadequate.

Watermole, I hate the word awesome - over used, de-valued....and Americanized - so, the best I can come up with is utterly awe inspiring. If you ever decide to make some to order I'm sure that what will follow will be the most unseemly, un-brother-hood-of-the-angle, un-British, stampeding rabble of a queue. And if I had the relevant cash I'd be there fighting them off to maintain my first place.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Get back you lot....I saw him first!

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

Haydn Clarke wrote:I'm with Paul. You think you're half decent at doing a few things and then once in a while someone produces something that makes you feel wholey inadequate.

Watermole, I hate the word awesome - over used, de-valued....and Americanized - so, the best I can come up with is utterly awe inspiring. If you ever decide to make some to order I'm sure that what will follow will be the most unseemly, un-brother-hood-of-the-angle, un-British, stampeding rabble of a queue. And if I had the relevant cash I'd be there fighting them off to maintain my first place.
You'd have to go through me first!!! I couldn't have put it better myself... And the range of reels could become (dare I say it) more coveted than swallows, lythes etc. I don't make that comment lightly-of all the new build top end pins I have seen that is the one i would buy.
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”