speedia's the flipping handles

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Chavender
Eel

speedia's the flipping handles

Post by Chavender »

just a quickie ,had a speedia mk4 narrow drum ,with a broken handle ,the end was all spikey and jiggered ,and no contour left so your grip could slip off over the broken end

So I used a drill bit to cut away the turned over rivet head till I could force the washer off .I didn't have any spare handles left. (must get some more scrappers) so I recycled the broken one .by flipping it .I did a little cosmetic work by rounding the end to match original style .

popped it back onto the shaft ,and it was a good fit ,popped the washer back and gave what was left of the rivet head a thwack with a punch to re-spread it to retain the handle.

Now its a working handle again with no sharp or rough edges ,ok not perfect ,but workable at least until a good handle can be found to replace it.& ok the whole reel needs a make over ,but i'm not keeping it .it was just a quickie to see if recycling the handle would work.
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Chavender
Eel

Re: speedia's handle sleaves

Post by Chavender »

as a amendment too this I did have another idea for dealing with badly chipped speedia handles (without replacing them) ,probably more a temporary non invasive remedy ,till it can be properly replaced ,and prevent further chipping or breaking up.

I was getting moving some stuff in my shed about and one of the items was my old oscilloscope I used when I fixed Tv's and video's ,(I had two a digital hameg and a old analogue one ) its old fashioned analogue type with dials and toggle switches and round porthole screen ,well it was a toggle switch that got me thinking ,i'd fitted them with colour coded covers .and that's what struck me .ha haaa! I thought ,that might just be a simple answer for my chipped speedia handle .

the ones on my old scope ,was a little degraded ,and not the ideal colour for this application.the covers are a rubber boot that slips over the switch arm and screws too its threaded base ,they come in a multitude of colours and sizes ,the 12mm ones being closest to a slim speedia mk4 handle.

So I did a search on a well known auction site (amazon would be another place) ,and found some yellowish ones ,but they was from hong kong / china ,so I had too wait their arrival

(ok I got bored waiting and ,flipped the offending handle ,and had too undo that to show this) ,they come with a fitted threaded ring that will need removing (they're impressed ,so can be pulled away.

you need too leave the skirt on ,to fit snugly .this won't interfere with use.simply push it over the offending handle ,its a tight fit but they will stretch to fit

it'll go on.

push all the way down ,the skirt will go over the cup at the base (its wider so still allows handle to turn unhindered.

They come in packs of five or 10's so you can make both handles matching

and to remove ,simply peal up the skirt and lift off.

they're surprisingly good for grip ,make for a easy to add temporary cover /repair to keep the reel usable or can be ideal if its raining and the handles get wet and slippery or even as a winter cover as they'll be warmer to touch than the cold hard plastic ,another benefit is they increase the handle dia to make them more comfortable too use .

JW1
Grayling

Re: speedia's the flipping handles

Post by JW1 »

Novel idea but I think I would stick with the first solution, if you inverted both handles, it would look factory issue.

JW

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

It looks like your speedia has a little... 'something for the weekend', sir. :Wink:

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

JW1 wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 11:46 am Novel idea but I think I would stick with the first solution, if you inverted both handles, it would look factory issue.

JW
i have gone via the first method ,but I did consider making the handles match but decided as the reel has a worn busing I might see if I can find another spool or handle etc .

the second method was a bit of fun too see if it'd work ,and if someone wasn't a tinkerer like me they could use it too keep using the reel till they can get it sent off for a proper repair .or your using dyed baits etc .just thought as it works ,it might be useful to someone .

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”