martin james of redditch rods

The Martin James Rods forum.
Ezeeman
Minnow

martin james of redditch rods

Post by Ezeeman »

Hi,

Im fairly new to the forum, actually very; tonight! Where do martin james rods rank in the pantheon of vintage rods. I just acquired one; kind of on impulse, from ebay. Its described as 9'6 avon style float rod. It is the beginning of my vibtage collection; aside from a Mitchell 300a and a 440 match. Advice, views would be welcome.

Ty. :-)

NiceRoach
Eel

Re: martin james of redditch rods

Post by NiceRoach »

niceroach

Ezeeman
Minnow

Post by Ezeeman »

Thanks for that - looked through the links - useful and interesting.

Ezeeman
Minnow

Post by Ezeeman »

Any more thoughts or insights would be great. ..

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I did wonder why an 'avon' rod would be just 9 foot 6 inches, the Avon is a big, fast flowing river and avon rods are usually 11 or 12 feet and quite heavilly built.
Richard walker rather confused the issue when he thinned down his mark IV rod to make a chub rod and called it a Mark IV Avon, as the rod is only 10 feet long.

That said, whatever it is it'll be a bit of history and fun to fish with.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Be careful, Sir ... it was a Martin James rod that got me started on fiddling with rods !!!

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2518

It seems Martin James (or Martin-James, as you will sometimes see them labelled) not only sold rods under their own brand, but also supplied retailers on a wholesale basis with the retailers transfer under the varnish as well as their own.

I also have a very nice Martin James Banting Redditch 2 piece, 8ft 3in, fibre glass spinning rod.

Perhaps not a "premiership" name as far as rods are concerned ... but a good "mid championship" in my mind ... to use a footballing analogy.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Ezeeman
Minnow

Post by Ezeeman »

AshbyCut wrote:Be careful, Sir ... it was a Martin James rod that got me started on fiddling with rods !!!

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2518

It seems Martin James (or Martin-James, as you will sometimes see them labelled) not only sold rods under their own brand, but also supplied retailers on a wholesale basis with the retailers transfer under the varnish as well as their own.

I also have a very nice Martin James Banting Redditch 2 piece, 8ft 3in, fibre glass spinning rod.

Perhaps not a "premiership" name as far as rods are concerned ... but a good "mid championship" in my mind ... to use a footballing analogy.
Thanks, I fear that I am beyond salvation. Just bought a chapman 500 - crystal palace?

Return to “Martin James Cane Rods”