Martin James

The Martin James Rods forum.
Vole
Rainbow Trout

Re: Martin James

Post by Vole »

I suspect it's being used here as a surname, like "Schooling"; though who the dedicatee might be is beyond the reach of google.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Old-CodJA

Post by Old-CodJA »

Nobby wrote:Marco often used rings with a straight wire support at 45 degrees just as Hardy did. They're almost impossible to find now. Eggingtons used them too.

Yes Nobby, I'd love to be able to locate some of those rings.

I have picked up a 'poorly' Hardy Roach Perfection rung with such guides and having contacted Hardy's for information, they were very helpful with regard to the year for the rod itself and other information, but drew a blank on contemporary replacement rings.

They suggested low Bells Life as the most suitable alternative.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Perhaps it's just me, but I really like the look of those 45 degree braced rings. To my eye they are elegant, but there's no denying that they leave the line ring touching the cane and make varnishing a bit of a mess.

What's available now, with curved braces rather than straight, just doesn't look as nice.

That said, they're there to do a job, not to look nice.

I did hear that a load of ones from Marco went to Wales when they closed, ..somewhere near Cardiff. I've just an inkling who has them, or who knows who has them, but I suspect they know they are sitting on a goldmine.

Old-CodJA

Post by Old-CodJA »

Nobby wrote:Perhaps it's just me, but I really like the look of those 45 degree braced rings. To my eye they are elegant, but there's no denying that they leave the line ring touching the cane and make varnishing a bit of a mess.

What's available now, with curved braces rather than straight, just doesn't look as nice.

That said, they're there to do a job, not to look nice.

I agree, the original rings look much nicer. I even had a mate suggest that he knew someone who might be able to copy them in wire, but I'm not sure how that would look nor what the practicality is.

I have a good pal who lives near to Cardiff and had a tackle shop near Llanelli at one time. I'm going down there again in a week or two so will see what he can turn up. Thanks for your helpful comment.

John

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I think the rod rings are somewhere around Newport and Usk area, but your pal might know.....

I did wonder if Chapmans of Ware, who have a ring making contact, would ever commision some, if enough of us were interested?

Old-CodJA

Post by Old-CodJA »

Nobby wrote:I think the rod rings are somewhere around Newport and Usk area, but your pal might know.....

Thanks again Nobby, I've spoken to my mate on the phone and he's on the case. One can only hope :) .

Cheers

JohnA

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Get some for me :Wink:

Leveller
Rudd

Post by Leveller »

Mullochs just sold a greaves rod , described as a river rod,
It went for a song!

http://www.mullocksauctions.co.uk/lot-6 ... piece.html

Gone Fishing
Dace

Post by Gone Fishing »

Good evening gents,
your posts are very interesting. I was able to buy a Greaves last week. It is in need of renovation and at first sight not everything seems to be original. What you mean?
Best wishes
Markus
Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

By the way - according to 'Baits and Groundbaits' by Faddist published in the 1950:-
Greaves (or 'Scratchings') is the fatty refuse of tallow. It is broken up, boiled for half an hour or so before use. The whitest and toughest pieces serve for the hook, the remainder for groundbait. A bait more particularly associated with barbel and chub.

He also states that 'greaves are now in short supply'. Possibly extinct now!
Tallow is the rendered fat of cattle and sheep predominantly, although other animals can be brought into the equation, such as horses, goats and other dead stock. (Pig fats have a totally different composition and are too soft to become tallow and form a group called greases.

Hence the association of the rod - - - being suitable for barbel & chub!

Return to “Martin James Cane Rods”