Martin James

The Martin James Rods forum.
Mr B

Martin James

Post by Mr B »

I have been given another cane rod, Looks interesting.
Its made by Martin James, South Lowestoft. I am not sure if the word Dann's
In the name badge id a place, or part of the company?
It belonged to my wife's grandfather.. It has to tips, one slightly heavier duty. Looks like whole cane but and middle... I dont know to much about greenhart? Top sections split cane, that are spirally wrapped in thread.
Its about ten foot long with a powerful action...well stiffish action. It has nice brass
Ferrules and reel fittings etc....O no, now I'm going to need an old Starback!
Any thoughts men?
Mr B

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: Martin James

Post by AshbyCut »

Martin James made rods in Redditch but added transfers for retailers who sold their rods, so I suspect that "Dann's South Lowestoft" may have been the original retailer.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Mr B

Post by Mr B »

Ok thank you,
It seems to put together well... James, any conection with the M 4 Carp rods?

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

That was Bob James of Ealing, so no connection that I am aware of.

Also there is no connection with the Martin James MBE, TFF member, author, broadcaster, conservationist and charity supporter.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Mr B

Post by Mr B »

Thanks for the great info and thanks fot thr link to your web site.
"Fantastic!!!"

Mark

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Actually there wasn't a Bob James of Ealing. There was Jim Bruce , both Senior and Junior, who traded as B.James, a reversal of their actual names. Jim Junior eventually left Northfields Avenue, (actually West of Ealing) and moved to the countryside, to the village of Upwood near Huntingdon in Cambridgeshire, renaming the firm Bruce and Walker, after joining up with a local engineer, Ken Walker. They are still going!

http://bruceandwalker.co.uk/

On the 'About us' page is a load of links at the botom of the page to some interesting reading.

http://bruceandwalker.co.uk/about_us

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

I was relying on information such as the page below :-

http://www.inthenetuk.com/pages/VintageRods_BJames.asp

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

Wow that's not far from Godmanchester where I stay a lot and fish the great Ouse, small world! :)
"piscator non solum piscatur"

Return to “Martin James Cane Rods”