The Martin James Rods forum.
Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: Martin James Rod just arrived.

Post by Mark »

Very nice AshbyCut. :thumb:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

CraigM
Grayling

Post by CraigM »

I'll second JT's approval.

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

A lovely rod Sir.

Gaz

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Ok ... today has been a good day !!! One of the things which has kept me away from the bank recently (the watery one ... not the high street one, unfortunately) was the failure of my little boat to pass inspection for the Boat Safety Certificate on the grounds that there was a leak in the gas system ... so every cup of tea could have been fatal !!! :shocked:

It's all sorted now ... and the re-test has been successfully negotiated. HURRAH !!!

Not only that, but the rod is now complete. One of the good things about enforced retirement is the fact that I have time to spend closeted in my little Man Cave, so I've been able to concentrate on the project whenever I haven't been ripping cracked gas pipes out from behind cabin panels.

I've also ordered a new rod bag for it in Dark Blue from Ellen Lawrence, which I think will be the finishing touch.

All that remains now is for me to get it out onto a bank somewhere and try catching something with it, which I hope to do next week.

So ... my first complete strip and rebuild ... would I do it again ?

Yes ... and I'm already planning at least 3 ... but only because of the confidence I've gained from what I've learned undertaking this one.

Fortunately, I'm doing rebuilds for myself, and not for others either paid or unpaid (I couldn't take the stress !!!). My aim has been to keep a bit of local angling history alive, whilst at the same time giving myself a useable rod that I don't mind taking onto the bank and getting mucky/wet ... and I think I've succeeded.

I have learned that my eyes are NOT what they were, especially for close work, and my respect for those who do wonderful faultless hand whipping has increased exponentially as I have gone along both in terms of maintaining a constant tension and avoiding cross-overs ... which I didn't manage. I was fortunate that setting the new tip section into the old ferrule went much more smoothly than I had dreamed ... and it came out straight at the first attempt. Beginners luck ??? Probably ... but I'll accept that happily.

The main point is ... I've thoroughly enjoyed this ... and if there's anyone out there who is thinking they might like to try it themselves, all I can say is ... give it a go. I'm already filled with anticipation of what feeling I will get when I make that first strike with a rod that I'm a real part of.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Gord
Crucian Carp

Post by Gord »

i will go along with your saying the eyes are not what they use to be, i am having the same problem but your thoughts about your project are also mirrored, my rebuild wont be as good but i have enjoyed it and i will like you, enjoy using it and that is as it should be. a nice joband something to aim for
when you are going through hell just keep on going (winston churchill)

Rod
Grayling

Post by Rod »

Ok, never having done any whipping other than what I was taught in the Royal Navy, can one of you kind gentlemen please tell me what that brass weight and bobbin is called, and any ideas where I can get one from, as I would love to have a go at a Martin James rod I have.
An old man, who's only pleasure left in life, is sitting by some water, fiddling with his maggots?

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Ebay
Rod whipping/wrapping/tying bobin

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw= ... n&_sacat=0
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

The weight and bobbin are more associated with tying flies for fishing, but a few chaps use them for whipping to good effect.

The main thing is to have some arrangement to put tension into the silk or the rings will move under the threads and the varnish crack....especially on bigger rings like a butt ring.

I know a few very respected restorers who use no tools at all....just the pressure from a thumb and lots of experience.

Rod
Grayling

Post by Rod »

Right gentlemen, I have found a bobbin set I can use for rods and floats, thanks to your help, I have also found some photo's of a hand wrapper, which I can make myself in my man cave, and I can use a reel loader, I have with adjustable tension, for the silk, I have already got the colour silk I want for the main whipping, but would love to copy the Cream intermediates shown on here, the big question is where do I get it from? :Thumb:
I should imagine I will be back with loads more questions at a later stage in the refurbishment, so please be patient with me :surrender:
An old man, who's only pleasure left in life, is sitting by some water, fiddling with his maggots?

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Rod wrote:I have already got the colour silk I want for the main whipping, but would love to copy the Cream intermediates shown on here, the big question is where do I get it from?
I used Gudebrod Nylon, Grade A, and I have a spool with enough left on it for you to do your intermediates, Sir.

PM me your details and I will post it to you.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Return to “Martin James Cane Rods”