Martin James catalogue

The Martin James Rods forum.
Beresford
Sea Trout

Martin James catalogue

Post by Beresford »

I wondered if there was a member here who has a Martin James of Redditch Catalogue? The closest I can come to finding one was a Mullocks auction listing of 2012 for their retail catalogue. I understand James supplied many tackle shops.

I'm trying to get a list of the coarse rods they made. Thank you in advance for any assistance.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: Martin James catalogue

Post by AshbyCut »

Could be a long search, Sir.

It was a Martin-James rod that was the basis of my first real go at a restoration, and my researches at the time threw up the suggestion that the company sold many 'un-named' rods on a wholesale basis to individual, and through a catalogue which the salesmen took around with them, independent retail outlets ... like Aubrey Hill of Coventry (whose shop used to be only a couple of miles from where I live now, and which is currently a fast food takeaway).

As can be seen in the thread below .....

viewtopic.php?f=400&t=2518&p=31030&hili ... mes#p31030

..... the only decals on the rod are the oval one for Martin-James, and the retailers decal.

The best of luck in your searches.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Thanks Mal. If I ever stumble over one it'll be interesting.

PondLife
Perch

Post by PondLife »

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Apologies for the poor picture quality. I blame the flash.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Thank you, very much appreciated.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Excellent information ... even if my rod (3 piece, 10ft 8in. all split cane) isn't listed.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

PondLife
Perch

Post by PondLife »

The greaves is only 2 inches shorter Mal and that's all split cane. By the way, date of catalogue is 1955.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

PondLife wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:21 amThe greaves is only 2 inches shorter Mal and that's all split cane. By the way, date of catalogue is 1955.
I looked at that, Sir ... but as a rough extrapolation the 'Greaves' has a handle (without button) of 20 inches ... and my 'un-named' has a handle of only 18 inches.

As the majority of the coarse rods in your lovely catalogue seem to incorporate Spanish Reed, and there are rods described as 'Threadline Spinning Rods,' and there's mention of 'Greenheart Fly rods,' I suspect my rod is later in date.

Is there any date at all on the catalogue ? I'm guessing it will date to the 1950s (but, as usual, I'm prepared to be shot down in flames !!! :Wink: ) ... possibly even late 1940s.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Thanks Pondlife, looks like I have a Wixford. Coincidentally, I used it for the first time yesterday and although the handle is a tad short preference wise, it was great to fish with with a very quick action.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

PondLife
Perch

Post by PondLife »

Santiago wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:36 am Thanks Pondlife, looks like I have a Wixford. Coincidentally, I used it for the first time yesterday and although the handle is a tad short preference wise, it was great to fish with with a very quick action.
Glad the catalogue was of help. Wixford sounds nice. Have you got the 11 ft or 13ft.
Personally i have 3 Greaves and an Elfin which i think are lovely rods and very underated.

Return to “Martin James Cane Rods”