What is it?

The Martin James Rods forum.
Rod
Grayling

What is it?

Post by Rod »

I have a Martin James "hollow built" all split cane rod, put together without the tip eye, measures 145 1/2'', when I got it there were only 8 rings on it, including the tip eye, they were stand offs, so I am assuming it is a float rod. What I would like to know is, do any of you gentlemen have any idea of if this is right? As this does seem a bit sparse to my unpracticed eye.
Also I have never seen so many transfers on a rod before, I will post photo's tomorrow, as my camera is useless except in day light, but it has a script saying "Hollow built", then a green and black logo in a fish format, over written in white "Martin James", then a Union Jack transfer with the wording around it, "British made, Martin James, Fishing rod, Guaranteed". There is no suppliers name anywhere, or any other markings. I would love to restore this as near as possible to it's original state, so any help would be appreciated.
An old man, who's only pleasure left in life, is sitting by some water, fiddling with his maggots?

Rod
Grayling

Re: What is it?

Post by Rod »

Here is the photo of the transfer,

An old man, who's only pleasure left in life, is sitting by some water, fiddling with his maggots?

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

My Martin James rod also has no 'model name' on it ... but did have a transfer for the retailer. It' also' has 8 guides including the tip ... but it's only 10ft. 8in.

As for the guides ... I think 8 was probably right, and maybe a 'cost cutting' measure ... but I also think you're correct in suggesting it's a 'bit sparce.'

I have added a ring or two to rods I've rebuilt to make the action better (for me, anyway). I understand the urge to rebuild it as per original, but if it were mine I'd be adding at least one more guide to the tip ... like the Chapman's Hunter (left) or the Apsindale's Severndale (right), both 12ft. rods as examples.

Image Image
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Rod
Grayling

Post by Rod »

Cheers for that AC, I do tend to use Oliver's of Knebworth's catalogue as a guide, and as you can see from the list below, the original looked absolutely bare,''
Original 10 5/8'' - 11 5/8'' - 14'' - 14 3/4'' - 15 3/4'' - 17 3/4'' - 21''
Oliver's 4 1/2'' - 6'' - 7 3/4'' - 9 3/4'' - 12'' - 13 1/2'' - 15 1/2'' - 19 1/2''
The above is not counting the tip eye.

Return to “Martin James Cane Rods”