Martin James Greenheart rod

The Martin James Rods forum.
Dabbler

Re: Martin James Greenheart rod

Post by Dabbler »

Oh, BTY, the device that the rodmaker is using to taper the Greenheart dowel in the newsreel film is called a "Trapping Plane", because it "traps" the work in the body of the tool. As a result there is no other support needed for the work. You can still get them from a company called Ashem Crafts.

On their website description they say:

"It was developed from a wooden device used for making greenheart fishing rods in the Redditch area of Worcestershire"

Apparantly they are now used by chair makers for making tapered spindles for chairs, and they go on to say that "Good eye judgement is needed for a pleasant and even taper ".

So I expect that a good "trapper operator" was highly prized at the rod factory in the heyday of greenheart rods ! Sic transit gloria mundi.

regards,
Eric

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Looking good, now mine has a buddy! Nice reel too, what is it?
Still haven't got a handle button yet but I will keep looking out for one.
I shall be trying mine out on the river Derwent locally and looking forward to the "greenheart experience"
Regards
Jeremy.
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Dabbler

Post by Dabbler »

Hi Jeremy,
thanks, well I hope you post a picture of something good, and with the rod still in one piece ! Of course all those traditionalists out there with their split cane wonders can eat their hearts out after reading this recommendation for Greenheart from Mr. Malloch, (maker of the famous "sidecaster" of the same name), from the 1907 Fishing Gazette.

The reel is a LHW Hardy Perfect, probably a trifle "up market" for the humble Martin James, but my Condex and Beaudex are in storage otherwise I'd think them more appropriate, unless, of course, I am to be accused of "Class discrimination" in the matter of traditional tackle combinations !!

I'll post a picture of my first catch on the rod, and how it worked,(it will also be the biggest I catch on it and who's to deny it was the first !), and I'll pray that it won't be the last by virtue of "Greenheart misadventure", but that won't be till the end of June.

Good luck on the Derwent, (but we all know that it's not luck but skill at the day's end, - unless, of course, you don't catch anything, - which we will rightly attribute to ill deserved "bad" luck !!

regards,
Eric

Dabbler

Post by Dabbler »

I don't know where the picture went so I am sending again:

Dabbler

Post by Dabbler »

Well, it doesn't appear to be readable, but a quick precis, after describing his tests , illustrated by hanging weights, (14 oz), he gives the advantages of Greenheart as:

a. Greenheart being far more powerfull that Split Cane of equal length and weight a longer line can be cast with greater ease.

b. Greenheart is more pleasant to fish with: is far quicker in striking; consequently fewer fish are missed.

c. Greenheart is more certain in hooking a fish, and when hooked the fish is landed much quicker, therby saving valuable time when the fish are rising.

d. Greenheart will cast a neater and lighter line with great precision.

e. Greenheart will stand more wear and tear, is less liable to get out of order, and is very easily repaired.

f. Greenheart rods cost less than half the cost of split cane rods.

Well, I guess we'll find out how true this all is ! Sounds too good to be true, but maybe in 1907 it just reflects the quality of some of the split cane rods. Of course some of these "attributes" are just a result of less flexibility in the Greenheart ! My split canes feel, to me much easier to cast with, than modern lightweights, but I think it's due to the momentum of the heavier rod and, of course, my poor casting abilities, and Greenheart is heavier still.

regards,
Eric

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Interesting stuff!
I shall not be able to compare mine with cane as I don't have a split cane fly rod. However there have been plenty of comments about the favourable action of greenheart from those in the know so I'm looking forward to trying it.
I think it will be heavier, but then you can always rest the swim.....and your arm!
Regards Jeremy.
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Return to “Martin James Cane Rods”