Martin James Rod query

The Martin James Rods forum.
Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Martin James Rod query

Post by Dave Burr »

I've just received this rod, its a Martin James of some sort but can anybody throw any light on to which one it may be? Its 10' and, as you can see, the tip is very fine - roach rod style - and has the scar of battles past (that's a set by the way :) ). I haven't used it yet but I would say that the action is like my Lucky Strike but with more back bone and a lot less wobble, when you go past the tip action the rod has loads of power further down. I may have found my chub trotting rod.

It cost the princely sum of £26 and was listed as a fly rod on a well known internet auction site.

Any information will be gratefully received.

Hoppy-Doffton
Perch

Re: Martin James Rod query

Post by Hoppy-Doffton »

Dave
That looks very much like my Greaves rod I posted a while back on a previous thread :Thumb:
To enjoy our sport as it should be enjoyed, our surroundings must be beautiful, for your true angler enjoys nature as much as he enjoys fishing. "BB"

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Thanks H-D, they are very similar although I would suggest that mine is slightly lighter at the tip and has stand off rings which look original. Also the ferules aren't spigoted but that could just mean its a little younger than yours. Has yours got a similar label to mine?

Splitcaner
Ruffe

Martin James bamboo rod.

Post by Splitcaner »

Been to flea market again today, bought a Martin James rod. I say bought it I have paid half in deposit £5,need to time it right when my partner is not in. She moans I have too many rods already. The rod is about 11ft bamboo bottom and middle and split cane top, nice clean condition good guides ready to use. Can any one help with a name for the rod please. John.

Duckett
Tench

Re: Martin James bamboo rod.

Post by Duckett »

Splitcaner wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:34 pm Been to flea market again today, bought a Martin James rod. I say bought it I have paid half in deposit £5,need to time it right when my partner is not in. She moans I have too many rods already. The rod is about 11ft bamboo bottom and middle and split cane top, nice clean condition good guides ready to use. Can any one help with a name for the rod please. John.
Hello Splitcaner. For a better chance of a response you might want to consider starting a new thread on this, though I can see from the title why you chose this one.

Your brief description matches my Martin James "Elmer" rod, though I have a feeling that it could match an awful lot of them. Their connecting of step downs from solid cane to solid cane, or solid cane to split seems to have been of very high quality - mine is pre-World War 1 and only required a very light tidying up. Could you post some pictures as that's your best chance of someone putting a name to it for you.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Splitcaner
Ruffe

Post by Splitcaner »

Hi Duckett thanks for the reply, not got the rod just yet got to be careful about bring more rods home. hope to pick it up in a couple of weeks.

Return to “Martin James Cane Rods”