Martin James catalogue

The Martin James Rods forum.
PondLife
Perch

Re: Martin James catalogue

Post by PondLife »

AshbyCut wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:02 am
PondLife wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:21 amThe greaves is only 2 inches shorter Mal and that's all split cane. By the way, date of catalogue is 1955.
I looked at that, Sir ... but as a rough extrapolation the 'Greaves' has a handle (without button) of 20 inches ... and my 'un-named' has a handle of only 18 inches.

As the majority of the coarse rods in your lovely catalogue seem to incorporate Spanish Reed, and there are rods described as 'Threadline Spinning Rods,' and there's mention of 'Greenheart Fly rods,' I suspect my rod is later in date.

Is there any date at all on the catalogue ? I'm guessing it will date to the 1950s (but, as usual, I'm prepared to be shot down in flames !!! :Wink: ) ... possibly even late 1940s.
Catalogue is 1955. Thing is with the greaves is variations on a theme. I have 3 and they're all different . I have one which is light and delicate and comes withe two butts so you can fish the rod at different lengths. I have slighter heavier one 10.5ft and i also have an 11footer which has much heavier taper which would probably cope with reasonable sized barbel. I have also seen online (mullocks) other greaves combination rods different to my own. Lastly the greaves has a threaded end cap with a screw in it so you could fit a button if you wanted to.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I only bought it quite recently and it's the 11' version. It looks to be in original condition with red whipping and doesn't require any immediate restoration.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

PondLife
Perch

Post by PondLife »

I'm jealous. Sounds very nice. Glad you got the 11ft i suspect the 13ft would be a bit to heavy.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

It still feels a tad heavy for my liking, but I adapted how I hold the rod so it wasn't too bad. Even so, I wouldn't use it for long trotting sessions. It's not heavy per se, the handle is quite short so it's not balanced very well. With a Speedia narrowdrum attached, the balance point is about a foot above the top of the handle.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

CoarseCumbrian
Stickleback

Post by CoarseCumbrian »

Thanks Pondlife,brings back memories of one of the first rods I ever owned - a Leamington bought from a tackle shop in Grosvenor Street Chester - now long gone. Mine was whipped in red and green. I think it was 1960/61. used for many happy hours on the Shropshire Union canal on the stretch which runs through the city of Chester. Sold to a pal for peanuts as usual. I have recently been able to locate another one which joins my collection of rods for restoration.

Lovatt
Perch

Post by Lovatt »

A big thank you for sharing your catalogue pages I found it to be a great help in identifying my Martin James G F K.

Regards Trevor

Wamfess
Minnow

Post by Wamfess »

Been reading this thread and it's been a great source of info for the research I am doing. Thanks for posting the catalogue pages, so useful.🙂
Anyone have a MARCO Catalogue they can post?

Regards, Bill

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

PondLife wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:06 pm ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Apologies for the poor picture quality. I blame the flash.

Sorry to impose, but is my rod anywhere listed in that catalog?
It has a fixed reel fitting to the rear of the handle... better still..
Here is the link to my post when you get time.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=35094

Thank you
Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Return to “Martin James Cane Rods”