Book Cover

This forum belongs to Harvey D. Torbett.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Book Cover

Post by AshbyCut »

So why have I put a scan of the cover of "Coarse Fishing" by Alan Wrangles (pub. George Newnes, 1966.) in the section on Harvey Torbett ?

Because the photo is of Harvey bringing what looks like a roach to the net which is being handled by his son, Neil ... and the photo credit is given to William (Bill) J. Howes, Harvey's life long friend and angling companion, and well known angling author/photographer.

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Keston
Tench

Re: Book Cover

Post by Keston »

How curious . I have seen that cover numerous times but not noticed the reel position before. At least not to my recollection.
It must be nice for the family to have so much of Harvey's past to look back on .
John

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Keston wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 3:12 pmI have seen that cover numerous times but not noticed the reel position before.
I think he must have been an advocate of the 'Sheffield Style' when float fishing for small fish.

He's using the reel much further up the handle of a (different) rod in this photo :-

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

There's also photographs of him in 'Fishing with float and fly' by William Child, 1966, again taken by Bill Howes.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Santiago wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 5:50 pm There's also photographs of him in 'Fishing with float and fly' by William Child, 1966, again taken by Bill Howes.
Thanks for that, Sir.

Return to “Harvey D. Torbett”