He kept such company !!!

This forum belongs to Harvey D. Torbett.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

He kept such company !!!

Post by AshbyCut »

I was recently given this lovely little tale by a contact on Facebook ...

"I knew and fished with Harvey Torbett and was on the same CCPR (Central Council of Physical Recreation) Angling Development Committee. Our committee chairman was a very nice guy who spent the first 5 minutes of each meeting telling us about his son, Michael, who wouldn't do his homework and wasted his time strumming a guitar.

The Chairman's name was Joe Jagger!"
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: He kept such company !!!

Post by Santiago »

That's very interesting. They say we only have to know 7 people multiplied by 7 people they know etc. by 7 orders and all the folk in the world will be covered! Did I ever tell you I use to know the Archbishop of Canterbury and have cooked for him dozens of times and was even invited around for dinner, but that's another story! My point is I know him, he knows most of the worlds leaders etc etc. and 5 people later the whole world knows someone that knows someone else (and I couldn't have explained that any worse).

In maths/physics research there is a famous scientist that researchers see how many folk they have worked with (published) that have worked with him or worked with someone that has worked with someone that has worked with him, and they give this closeness to his work a number! Folk with a 1 have worked directly with him, a 2 and they have worked with someone who has worked with him!

So where is this all going? Perhaps we could have the same in fishing, and have a Walker Factor, to see how close one knows folk that have fished with him! You get a 1 if you fished with him like Venables, a 2 if you fished with someone that fished with him etc. etc.

Do you know what Walker No. Harvey Torbett would have? Must be a 1 or 2!!! Interesting thing is and I think this is right (possibly wrong) one cannot have a number more than 7!!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

I recounted this tale to Harvey's daughter, Cindy ... who has sent me this in reply ...

"Neil and Martin (Harvey's sons) went to Dartford Grammar with Mick... what goes around... eh...I think Mick was in the year above Neil....I do remember Dad saying that he did take Mick fishing once... which would fit if his Dad was also into fishing.. maybe they went together."
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

It's a small world Sir. I think that's what I was trying to say earlier!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

Lovely tale... Sympathy for the devil AC,,,,
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Paddex

Post by Paddex »

i've seen mick and his gang in Berlin in '65, the venue went to pieces
hard to believe that he fished shortly before with Harvey Torbett

Return to “Harvey D. Torbett”