J B Kohn / Field's Fishing Tackle of Kentish Town

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: J B Kohn / Field's Fishing Tackle of Kentish Town

Post by Nobby »

Great tale...still chuckling.

Tinypic, the multi-coloured logo below any new post will re-size your images automatically to suit the forum.

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

Steve59 wrote:Living above Fields fishing tackle shop ment our entrance hall also served to connect the shop wth the rod building workshop at the shops rear.
I can recall an elderly gentleman working in the back room this I presume was J B Kohn senior, I believe it was his son who managed the front shop.
From a former resident of Kentish Town area 20 years ago, the building is long gone, now the Kentish Town Fire Station
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Deaf Cat
Grayling

Post by Deaf Cat »

Is that why my keepnet is always empty!
Lovely story Steve59, and welcome.
:Hat:
Duffer - The man without skill of hand, without good eyesight and no longer young - the man who really ought to fish!
(H.M. Bateman / R.D. Peck)

Steve59

Post by Steve59 »

Stathamender wrote:
Steve59 wrote:Living above Fields fishing tackle shop ment our entrance hall also served to connect the shop wth the rod building workshop at the shops rear.
I can recall an elderly gentleman working in the back room this I presume was J B Kohn senior, I believe it was his son who managed the front shop.
From a former resident of Kentish Town area 20 years ago, the building is long gone, now the Kentish Town Fire Station
Ya I know we had to move out about 1967 so they could demolish our home for the new station, mind you by today's standard it would probably be classified as a slum.

Steve59

Post by Steve59 »

Deaf Cat wrote:Is that why my keepnet is always empty!
Lovely story Steve59, and welcome.
:Hat:
:Happy: :Happy: :Happy:

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Steve59 wrote:
Stathamender wrote:
Ya I know we had to move out about 1967 so they could demolish our home for the new station, mind you by today's standard it would probably be classified as a slum.

Hello Steve, I grew up in the Kentish Town/ Queen's Crescent area, so I knew Field's tackle shop well. I went to Acland school, which became Acland Burleigh, I left aged 15. Soon after I started work, I bought a new Rapidex and a B.James Richard Walker Mark IV avon rod. I joined the L.A.A travelling to many venues using my new combo. I also fished both Hampstead and Highgate Ponds, also the Regents Canal opposite London Zoo. Many happy memories of that time!

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

A great tale!
Tinypic is one of the easiest programs to upload with, but they all seem to need a knack, so I wish you well and live in hope. My attempts to use Photobucket soon led me to a rude spoonerism ...
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Steve59

Post by Steve59 »

N
Lea Dweller wrote:
Steve59 wrote:
Stathamender wrote:

Hello Steve, I grew up in the Kentish Town/ Queen's Crescent area, so I knew Field's tackle shop well. I went to Acland school, which became Acland Burleigh, I left aged 15. Soon after I started work, I bought a new Rapidex and a B.James Richard Walker Mark IV avon rod. I joined the L.A.A travelling to many venues using my new combo. I also fished both Hampstead and Highgate Ponds, also the Regents Canal opposite London Zoo. Many happy memories of that time!
We moved from Highgate road to a block of flats just around the corner from Queens crescent, in fact my dad had a Saturday stall in the market, I spent a lot of time on the Regents Canal as a member of the Pirates club but the only fishing I done there was catching stickle backs in a homemade net made from Mums stockings.
I now live in Oulton Broad Suffolk but I'm glad I grew up in the city, it was like one big adventure playground although I'm now spoilt for choice as far as water goes. :Cool:
Here's a badge from the Chalk Farm Pisctorial Club, it belonged to my late Father.

Steve59

Post by Steve59 »

Vole wrote:A great tale!
Tinypic is one of the easiest programs to upload with, but they all seem to need a knack, so I wish you well and live in hope. My attempts to use Photobucket soon led me to a rude spoonerism ...
Wow I'm impressed with Tinypic easy peasy, I can bore everyone to death we photos as well as my ramblings now. :Chuckle:
Thanks

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Steve59 wrote:N
Lea Dweller wrote:
Steve59 wrote:
Stathamender wrote:

We moved from Highgate road to a block of flats just around the corner from Queens crescent, in fact my dad had a Saturday stall in the market, I spent a lot of time on the Regents Canal as a member of the Pirates club but the only fishing I done there was catching stickle backs in a homemade net made from Mums stockings.
I now live in Oulton Broad Suffolk but I'm glad I grew up in the city, it was like one big adventure playground although I'm now spoilt for choice as far as water goes. :Cool:
Here's a badge from the Chalk Farm Pisctorial Club, it belonged to my late Father.
What a small world, I used to work in Queen's Crescent market for my uncle on a Saturday around 1960/63, so I may have met your Dad! Amazing!
This forum continues to amaze me with the contacts that can be found from so long ago!

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”