Fibreglass Owners and Users.

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Re: Fibreglass Owners and Users.

Post by Kevanf1 »

Well done sir :) I have had to decline bidding on one on that certain online auction site. The whole price is way too much with P&P. On its onw I think £12 is a very fair price (it is also a 13 foot version). So, for now I'll content myself with my two 12 foots and two 9 foot leger rods. One day I would like to get a 13 foot and a 14 foot version of the float rods. One day...
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

I was musing this morning that with the increase in traditional anglers (still as rare as hens teeth) that China may start making cane rods. Should imagine they'd be good with bamboo.

I've started to prefer my hardy matchmaker to my cane Allcocks Holdwell (does that mean I have to leave TFF?). The handle is longer and the rod feels overall more robust. I love fishing with cane, but the arm wants what the arm wants.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Prince of Durham wrote:I was musing this morning that with the increase in traditional anglers (still as rare as hens teeth) that China may start making cane rods. Should imagine they'd be good with bamboo.
They already do.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

If Mr Zhu wanted to dip a toe in the coarse-fishing market, he could perhaps do worse than produce replacement tips in a few of the more "standard" lengths and tapers. They'd be doubly welcome if they could be indelibly branded so they couldn't be sold-on as new...
Edit -sorry, the phone went off... I meant "sold-on as original".

Kevan, I know what you mean about postage costs. Ebay chucks the P.O. a life-line, the dozy "suits" cut it. A golden egg-laying goose served up as paté.

Do you know anyone who travels down to N. London sometimes? We could probably work something out by PM if you do.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Paddex

Post by Paddex »

Hélas! sometimes I paid more for postage from the UK to Germany than for the rods (especially glass-rods) they are appreciated and can be expensive here.
Hardy was the only british company that had a good distributor in Germany in the 60s and 70s, so their tackle was known and rightfully appreciated.
Apart from Farlow Sharpe I never heard at that time about other english tackle companies over here.
So its natural that I am a great Hardy fan also (with some Palakona and Perfect fly fishing stuff first) and love my FJT Trotter rods (brown and black blanks).
Actually I'm waiting for a 10' Fibalite carp blank with hardware from Ted Oliver (together with a 7' Fibalite #4 fly blank and a Sportex 11' Avon Style blank) and will try to build up my first rods.
My first rod in '71 was glass: ABU Caster 152 with an Ambassadeur 5000 C bought in Sweden, so ABU is another favourite company.
I have a Hardy 6' spinning glass rod also (64 g, with a little Zebco closed face under 200 g the set), lovely spinning for perch and a Fenwick 858 fly rod.

My other glass coarse rods:
Rodrill 12', brass ferrules, srew-in tip ring, detachable handle, painted "intermediate whipping" lines :Chuckle:
Constable of Bromley 13' Companion (great rod)
Bruce and Walker CTM 9, Swing Tip, Ledger, screw-in tip ring (perfect)
Bruce and Walker CTM 14 A (no comment)
ABU Feralite Mark 6 Zoom, 13' All England, Match Tip (super rod)
No Name two tip rod with brown mottled blank and brass ferrules, 12' and 11' with screw-in tip ring (a bit heavy)
and my superlight roach favourite: 12' Marco Elastiglas Lea Featherweight (green glass, the thinnest glas blank I've ever seen, 240 g - 8 oz all in)

I like them all
and the picture that started all from the '72 Hardy Catalogue
I've seen that and thought: oh yes, thats the way you want to fish - and that never changed :Hat:
DW-FJT-72-kl.jpg
thank you both, DW and FJT
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

I still have my 13' Alpha match rod... for what it is and what it cost it's a very good rod even today :Thumb:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

DrJohn
Gudgeon

Post by DrJohn »

Paddex wrote:...and the picture that started all from the '72 Hardy Catalogue
I've seen that and thought: oh yes, thats the way you want to fish - and that never changed :Hat:
DW-FJT-72-kl.jpg
thank you both, DW and FJT
Interesting post Paddex, and your comment about being inspired by Richard Walker and Fred Taylor, those rods posted from the UK must have been an expense, I recall how expensive they were for us UK based buyers - ok my Dad!

I have often thought about fishing in Germany; have friends in the South (Konstanz) and south east of Berlin. Where you live, was that not in the former GDR?

John.

Paddex

Post by Paddex »

I grew up in West-Berlin, John, but moved out of town 10km to the west in 2005,
all around West-Berlin was the GDR, so you had no chance, every direction you moved out of town, you moved to "the East" :Hahaha:
I fish the Havel around Potsdam and Werder, that is south west of Berlin, there are also beautiful rivers and lakes south east of Berlin.
If you zoom in on Werder in Google Earth you can see all that water, Werder is a fishermens town since thousands of years,
same for Köpenick in the south east. I think Berlin is the most "aqueous" capital of Europe.
But Konstanz has the Bodensee and many beautiful trout rivers, unfortunately there is no trout fishing near Berlin,
you have at least a distance of 250 to 300 km to reach that.

Old-CodJA

Post by Old-CodJA »

I think my 'Magpie habit' is becoming stronger...if that's possible. Just had a wander around the local car boot sale and couldn't resist a Rodrill of London 'Matchman Special' 12ft 6 ins lightweight hollow glass rod for just a quid.

The rod is in clean useable condition and teamed with a Mitchell 'Otomatic', I just have to nip outside the house and try it on the big 'skimmers' and Roach on the Old Nene at the bottom of my garden.

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Bought today.
Another boot sale buy.

An early John Wilson Avon Quiver

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”