Fibreglass Owners and Users.

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Caractacus Potts
Roach

Fibreglass Owners and Users.

Post by Caractacus Potts »

Any other fibreglass rod owners and users out there ? I have only got a pair of cane rods, but having grown up in the fibreglass era I do still have a few fibreglass rods still, although I probably don't use them as often as I should. I think it was Roger Smith in his 'Carp Fisher' magazine interview who said that he couldn't get on with fibreglass at all, and he went almost from cane rods straight to carbon.

Going back from carbon to using a glass rod, it does feel very sloppy indeed and it's amazing we used to hit any bites or runs at all !

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Re: Fibreglass Owners and Users.

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

I have a Rudge 10ft Carp rod, and am currently renovating an 11ft SU Mark IV B&W. I like glass, you can be a little more 'Bullish' with it.
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Caractacus Potts
Roach

You're right, it's hard to break on a fish !

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

I still have some. A 10' Judds of Hillingdon carp rod and an 11' Bennett's of Sheffield float rod (needs new rings - it had a hard life).
I use the carp rod reasonably often as I can't afford a MK IV. I will get round to getting the float rod sorted soon. It was the first "proper" rod which was new when I got it (I used hand me downs before that). It has some good memories and I used it for everything (I even caught my first carp on it).
I do also have an 18' telescopic pole in bright blue fibregalss!
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

JimmyBobkin
Crucian Carp

Post by JimmyBobkin »

I had a 10ft, 2 piece, fibreglass Carp rod years ago and I gave it away. I used to take the shine off it by rubbing it down with Fullers Earth to give it a matt finish. Looking to get another one now, partly nostalgia, but mostly because it was damn good to fish with.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Weren't the earlier fibreglass rods built to flex like split cane, with a more through action to protect the line from lunges by big fish? I use to have an old fibreglass 13' Hardy Match, that my father won at a poker game at a bailiffes lakeside house(whilst he was supposed to be night fishing). How I regret giving it away when I went to carbon!!!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Bluedun

Post by Bluedun »

I still use a glass quivertip rod, but it's short with a good action. I wouldn't use float rods now - too heavy and too floppy.

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

I have a chapman 1000 hunter bought for £20
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Shakespeares, North Westerns, an Alan Brown "Chevin", Winfield "Float Fisher", 9 1/2 footers by Ken Smith and Billy Lane; a Sundridge; an Abu baitcaster, Auger "Sabre Queen", an Anon Shaw and a few fly rods; also a strange Gerry's of Wimbledon beast, apparently spliced up - or otherwise compound-tapered - to give a spliced-Spanish-reed action, and assorted duds.

Reassuringly non-conductive.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Caractacus Potts
Roach

Do you still use any of them,Vole ?

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”