Fibreglass Owners and Users.

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Keston
Tench

Re: Fibreglass Owners and Users.

Post by Keston »

Gary Bills wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:18 pm I was using my first carp rod, a glass Shakespeare Carp International, on and off from 1979 to last year when - thanks to stupid "practice striking" in the garden, I managed to crack the tip off on a post! The whole rod needs a re-vamp, however. I also used a glass Hardy Deluxe carp rod, before I flogged it on ebay. Both rods caught me doubles, close in, and I think its true that glass keeps the hook in better than both carbon and cane. I quite like the softness - the cushion is there, but it's usually an illusion that glass rods are "flop-sticks", You can dictate fights with a glass rod pretty well. I'm hoping to get another glass rod some time this year - one in really good condition, hopefully - but it will cost more than I want to pay at the moment; I'm a bit skint, at present.
I like my carbons - but it's nice to have the option.
I wouldn't mind a glass "Hilton" - but we're talking silly money...
More realistically, I wouldn't mind a Milbro Carp Master, a Shakespeare Alpha Carp or - if I can find one, another Carp International.

I noticed A Milbro Rod for sale , although advertised as a float rod it didn't look like one in the images and being described at 10ft I thought it worth buying and investigating .
The labels are worn but you can read Milbro and just make out Carpmaster . It has lined tip and but eyes and the intermediates are an unusual design. The ferrules are quite unusual too .
I came by this old thread searching for information in the rod , there is very little on the internet about them so would appreciate any knowledge you have of them back in the day please ?
Kind regards
John

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

Well, it looks in lovely condition - and Milbro blanks were pretty good - if sometimes a little thick-walled - but that's good for strength..basically, I'd use it - 1960's I'd say, before the arrival of glass to glass or spigots.

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

Early 70s actually. Not sure what the earliest date was, but I remember a mate of mine had one - a rod I always coveted!
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Thanks chaps , it's nice to have some information and dates to go with tackle .

Floater
Stickleback

Post by Floater »

I've got a Jack Hilton Fibreglass 11ft. 1 1/2 t/c which I very occasionally use for floater fishing when I need to add a controller , fish further out .
I'm undecided whether I like the action or not :Confused:
:)

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”