Allcocks of Redditch - the other one!

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Allcocks of Redditch - the other one!

Post by Nobby »

That looks like Clive Young's hand to me......never sure, of course,....where did you get it?

That green/black twist is available from Barney Gallop, I think.

I'd look out for a rod on eBay that has a broken tip that you can buy cheap....everyone wants tip sections, not butts, so you might pay very little......a ferrule swap, a bit of whipping and the Witham Wizard casts again!

I'm afraid Clive, if it is indeed his work, is a bit of a tinker for 'inventing' rod names...though the W A Allcock may well be right.

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Ok thanks for that. Think it was one of the first cane rods I bought and not knowing anything about makers etc. I just thought it was a nice rod and still is really apart from the obvious :chuckle: I shall keep hold of it and maybe in the future do something with. I could make a bankstick out of the butt I guess.
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Muscavado
Grayling

Post by Muscavado »

Gentlemen,
Please add to the list the "Princess" 12ft float rod

John

Damflask
Grayling

Post by Damflask »

Yes. Princess
I have just bought one from a well known auction site.
Listed as being 11' 2" and all three sections appear undamaged or shortened.

LesleyM
Stickleback

Post by LesleyM »

WA Allcock was my great grandfather. I think he was the cousin of the S Allcock family. He and his sons were rod makers, and my grandfather and his brother continued to build rods into the mid 1960s when my grandfather died. Our family have managed to buy a few family fishing rods as keep sakes but would would be interested in hearing more about the rods as none of us are fishermen. Grandad made sea fishing rods from greenheart wood and the dust from this, along with the Woodbines, led to the chronic lung disease which led to his early death at the age of 62. I'd love to know more about the rods he built.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Have you seen this Lesley?

http://www.serifwebresources.com/phpBB2 ... mid=296775

Claude seems to refer to a 'Wyer'. Wyeres Brothers were a big Redditch firm that traded hugely in France, where they were known as Wyeres Freres even having an oak-panelled shop in central Paris.

In truth we know precious little about WA Allcock particularly why they weren't part of the huge S.Allcock firm. There seems to be no advertising or catalogues and it's so often these that we rely on.

I expect you have seen the firm's logo:

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”