A 14ft match comparison

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

A 14ft match comparison

Post by AshbyCut »

I didn't know whether to put this in both the Milward's and Dawson's threads ... but decided to put it here to save space.

I have been fascinated to see the difference in approach by two different rod makers to making a fine tipped 14ft 'match' style rod which has been afforded to me by the purchase of the 'job lot' of a Dawson's of Bromley 'Elaine' and a Milward's 'Senior Featherlite.' Both rods measure exactly 14 ft., but the 'Elaine' handle is an inch longer at 27.5 inches.

The Dawson's approach was for a rod comprising a whole cane butt section, whole cane spliced to split cane centre section, and whole cane spliced to split cane tip section.

Milward's went for a Spanish Reed butt section, Spanish Reed spliced to whole cane centre section, and their 'twin taper' split cane tip section.

The result are rods which weigh as follows ...

'Elaine' ... 19.9 oz.

'Featherlite' ... 16.2 oz.

Once I have rebuilt both rods in fishable condition I shall be really excited to see how they 'feel' in action.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Stef
Rudd

Re: A 14ft match comparison

Post by Stef »

Very exciting, AC. Both seem to be lovely rods.

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”