The Redmire MK IV by A W Croft

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
The VFC
Brown Trout

Re: The Redmire MK IV by A W Croft

Post by The VFC »

Ahhh! a mystery is solved - I saw a "Norco" rod recently and couldn't place the maker.
Jim

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

There's an "THE BICKTON SALMON SPINNER" 8' SPINNING ROD by Norcro listed for £195.00 inc p&p on this site ... though it says 'Fordhambridge' instead of 'Fordingbridge.' (I've emailed him to let him know, as I've checked my rod twice and it's definitely 'ing' not 'ham'.)

http://www.vintagefishingtackle.co.uk/splitcanerods.htm
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Champ
Chub

Post by Champ »

I have the Avon Wizard from the range.Its a little stronger than my Allcocks Wizards.Its a lovely well made rod.Mine has burgundy whippings.Apparently quite a few were finished in green.It came with his booklet containg the range of rods which i have somewhere.

A friend has one of the numbered Redmires.Ive waggled it a few times.Nice rod.A little lighter than my B James MK IV i thought but i havent caught a fish on it.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

champ wrote:It came with his booklet containing the range of rods which i have somewhere.
Sir, a copy of that leaflet would be greatly appreciated !!! Please. Pretty Please !!! :wink:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Mushy
Arctic Char

Post by Mushy »

I've just bought a Mk IV Avon by A W Croft, mint, on advice from Nobby, cheers Mate I owe you a pint, will post some pics later. Any notes on this rod would be interesting, thanks in advance.
Best Fishes
Mushy

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Kinda fancied that one myself...

I really don't know too much about Tony Croft rods apart from some cross-county tie-up with Aspindales up in Redditch. Here's an Aspindale Windale( which was their Avocet), but with a Norcro transfer identical in all other respects to a late Aspindale transfer.

Confusingly, since Mr.Croft was down in Fordingbridge in Hampshire, the writing on his Norcro rods is clearly written by the same person who wrote on the Aspindale rods.

Mushy
Arctic Char

Post by Mushy »

Thanks Nobby, will share some pics later
Best Fishes
Mushy

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Attached photo's of my new rod

The Redmire MKIV avon,

By Anthony William Croft

10' traditional built with agate tip & butt rings

I am surprised it is named the Redmire MKIV avon, as I associate Redmire with carp fishing, and avon with a lighter river rod, can anybody throw any light on this?

It looks to be in mint unused condition, and I am sure it has not been refurbished in any way.

My only critism is it looks like the varnish has run in a couple of places on the whippings!

Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

That looks very nice indeed, Sir. I'll be saving for one to go with my other Croft rods.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I suspect it's the Avon taper. Was this the rod that was on ebay briefly and sold along with two B&W hexacane Avons? Croft used Redmire as his brand name. I would therefore think the obvious – that this is the Avon taper since Croft used the word 'Carp' on the MkIV carp rods.

I have no idea how accurate the rod is to Walker's taper.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”