Greendrake sold by Gamages

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Liphook
Barbel

Greendrake sold by Gamages

Post by Liphook »

Are there any owners of a 'Greendrake' fly rod as sold by Gamage's of Holborn amongst us? I'm looking for the original tip section length and would be interested in any other information that might be relevant to these rods or Gamage's in general. I've done a forum search and have learned that Gamage's sold tackle from a variety of makers :holmes:

SeanM
Tench

Re: Greendrake sold by Gamages

Post by SeanM »

I've got two! One of which I was given by my brother-in-law and another I bought in case I needed any bits when restoring the first one. Both are in Gamages bags and one has the Milwards logo on it so a big clue as to the maker!

The tip section is 51 I/2 inches long and the rod was whipped in a mid green. The rod measures exactly 8ft 6in without the button. Mine have the typical Milwards black snake rings a lined butt ring (a bit small for modern lines) and a curious metal tip ring which looks to have some form of hard coating on it. It looks a coppery color.

The rod feels much lighter in action than my Milwards Flycraft which is a 5wt but from my Milwards catalogue it would seem that all their fly rods under 9ft were 5 weights so I'm guessing that it's just the rather through action that gives this impression.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Liphook
Barbel

Re: Greendrake sold by Gamages

Post by Liphook »

:Hat: Excellent reply SeanM! Thank you

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”