Walker Bampton. Any Info?

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Scott
Tench

Walker Bampton. Any Info?

Post by Scott »

I have found a new fly rod for my still water fishing, a Walker Bampton 9'6" #6.

I believe the company was set up by ex Hardy employees and that the rods are generally well regarded.

Do any of you fine fellas have any further information or do you indeed own a Walker Bampton rod?

The rod I have coming my way is a 'JJS' which I'm presuming is somebody's initials, but what does it actually stand for?

All the best,
Scott

Trevor
Eel

Re: Walker Bampton. Any Info?

Post by Trevor »

I don't have a rod, but I do have one of their reels.
I believe the initials are part of the name: JJS Walker Bampton & Co.
From the notes I've got they were based in Alnwick (which fits the Hardy connection) from the 1930s to 1968, when they were bought out by Farlows

Chubman
Crucian Carp

Post by Chubman »

i have a walker bampton, the lennox, wih 2 tips, 1 dry fly and one for wet, 9-6, quality rods

RoyO
Stickleback

Post by RoyO »

I don't have any info but I do have what I believe is the same rod. I inherited it from a friend's mother on whose private lake at their farm in Essex I used to use it each time I visited. My original reason for posting about it was that I had assumed it required restoration. On recollection I think that I actually re-lacquered some of the intermediate whippings about 15 years ago to stop them coming adrift. A quick check indicates that the rod is in super condition having always been hung in a warm dry cupboard. How usable are these rods of this age? Also, what type of wet fly line would be appropriate for the rod (9 1/2 ft). BTW both tip sections look identical to me. I don't have access to any Trout waters but thought I might try it on Rudd - unless it's worth so much more than I'd guess (about £100) in which case not.
The other two (Galaxy S10) photos refuse to upload - "access token invalid...."
So I tried again.... new snaps, same phone.
Here's a catch from roughly the last time I used it shortly before the farm was sold.
Same "access token..." complaint.
Edited (smaller) same complaint. Annoying. Last try.

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”