Farlows Holdfast fly rod

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Farlows Holdfast fly rod

Post by Nigel Rainton »

I have just bought a Farlows Holdfast fly rod which is 10' 6", 3 piece with an aluminium tube for the tips (one of which is broken) and original rod bag which is mouse chewed and rotten.

The serial number on the butt end fitting is 13809 and it has locking, screw fittings for the ferrules, hence the name.

It has a pronounced compound taper in the butt, if it was a modern rod I'm sure it would be described as having a 'swelled butt'. It is quite light and I wonder if the rod is hollow built. The rings need replacing but the cane is not delaminated and doesn't have a set. It's raining here and I could only waggle it in the lounge. It looks and feels like a loch rod, it's not man enough for sea trout or salmon.

Does anyone have this rod ? Could someone with a C Farlows catalogue collection tell me when it was made. I would guess it's quite early because the butt appears to be built on mahogany and the fittings are good quality brass. I would guess about 1920-30.

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Re: Farlows Holdfast fly rod

Post by Harry H »

The holdfast ferrule was patented in 1926, your rod looks to be for Loch and sea Trout fishing the 10ft 6" model should weigh 9 3/4ozs.
The other thing to check is the fit of the ferrule, later ones had a tapered fit where as the earlier relied on the screw fastening. Also check the bag label for the address that could give a clue to age.
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

The joint was patented in 1926 - Patent no:- 258145.

Could be a "Blagdon" but they are only 2 joint. However working through the catalogue I have come across the "Antenor" , the "Sextile" but they are 3 joint plus 2nd tip and only 10ft.

Next is the "New Zealand" at 10ft 6 - with an ali tube - 2 tips - and Holdfast joints. Designed for Loch fishing and sea trout. Weighing 9.75 oz and costing in 1938ish - £9.12.6d. With either a rubber button or spear. I think that is it!

It then goes on to Greenheart rods.

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Olly,

Thank you very much, that is a good description of my rod.

Harry,

The label on the rod bag is very hard to read. It appears to have 'telephone GREENHEART' along the top, the Holdfast fish logo in the middle, 'C Farlow & ' under the logo and 'ESTABLISHED...... ' along the bottom.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

First time I have found a rod still being used now!

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Olly,

Judging by the state of the rod bag, aluminium tube and rod rings this rod has been stored in dampish conditions for many years. A light refurbishment with new rings should bring it back to life. I'm not sure what to do about the mahogany (cork covered) handle. I might drill it out and shorten it a little, the section above the butt fitting is chewed.

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

I have had a detailed look at the rod in good light, with a big magnifying glass.

The female ferrule on the butt section is split, probably caused by water ingress and the cane expanding. The ferrule is not loose and doesn't knock. It's made of brass and the screw (Holdfast) is probably soldered on to the brass tube. The crack is hairline and I wonder if I could fill it with solder and whip over the base of the ferrule with copper wire while the ferrule remains fixed to the rod. Any thoughts ?

The butt ring is bright red agate and I will keep it for the refurb.

I have removed some of the whipping and found the remains of fine copper wire both above and below the ferrules.

The damaged tip section has the original rod rings which are brass rings soldered to a leg.

The 'good' tip and the rest of the rod, has been refurbished badly. The whippings are badly done and the rusty rings are stand-off. I will replace all the rings with chrome snakes. There are unusual whippings at the end of the 'good' tip which might be hiding delamination, I hope not !

This rod reminds me of my last project, that bargain turned into an expensive nightmare.

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

I've stripped off some of the whippings on the tip and there's no sign of delamination, perhaps the whippings were decorative. The cane extends into the split female ferrule past the end of the split.

I've never soldered anything before but I can borrow a soldering iron. Do we have an expert solderer on the forum ? I'm thinking about running solder into the hairline crack. Will molten solder run into a hairline crack ? Any advice gratefully received :-)

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

I decided against the soldering option, run superglue into the crack and whipped over it with fine copper wire (a la Sharpes). I've contacted Farlows to see if they can tell me the year of manufacture from the serial number. The 'broken' tip was intact under the whipping but the tip had obviously been put away while wet, the cane was black with rot and delaminated. I've decided to keep that tip as a record of the rods original condition, with intermediate whippings and brass rod eyes. The transformation is going well. I've shortened the handle below the reel fitting by an inch and whipped on ultra light snake rings. I've decided not to replace the intermediate whippings. This will be a 'user' not a display item.

I think the patent for the 'Holdfast' relates to the bulbous, zinc screw and locating pin not the brass twist and lock fitting found on later rods.

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

I completed the restoration and the rod turned out better than I had imagined. It's a lovely piece of cane, not as good as the Southwell rod but it has a magic feel about it.

Full story here.....

https://sussex-trout-fishing.com/2018/1 ... -holdfast/

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”