Intro and question - does anyone know who made this?

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Chavender
Eel

Re: Intro and question - does anyone know who made this?

Post by Chavender »

yes ,the ferrules and coller and old rings all say scotti ,but the grip and fitting isn't their usual style ,maybe the grip has been changed in the past .a modern make over would suite the rod .if it was a scotti blank i'll be a good one .I've a couple of old fly rods awaiting a modern makeover ,new reel seat and grips ,new rings on old cane .best of both worlds
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Robert P
Bleak

Post by Robert P »

Makes sense Chavender, the ferrules are definitely a much nicer stamp than the reel seat parts, which are flimsy and generally cheap feeling.

Intermediate wraps have left pale marks on the blank so I've replaced them in the same position, not ideal but within keeping.

Guide wraps are white silk for the transparent look when varnished. Inters and wrap trim are mid brown, ferrules and hook keeper wraps are the mid brown with black trim. Not everyone's cuppa but a sympathetic bit of experimentation. Lots more work to be done.
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender_1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

looking good ,coming along nicley
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Robert P
Bleak

Post by Robert P »

Butt and mid section largely complete. The two tips will have to wait until after Christmas before I have time to look at them :snooty:

The mid brown came out rather reddish but other than that I'm happy so far, I like the brass of the ferrules shining through the wraps and I like the way the old stains come through the clear wraps as well.
IMG_4650.JPG
IMG_4651.jpg
IMG_4653.jpg
IMG_4655.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”