Bob Southwell fly rod

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Re: Bob Southwell fly rod

Post by Nigel Rainton »

I use a #4 on my 10' Southwell rod for short distances on the river. I don't have any heavier lines. It would probably handle a heavier line but my arm won't :-)

Digger
Minnow

Post by Digger »

Hi

I have, or rather had a n mint Bob Southwell fly rod. It was built in the early sixties at the Station Rd. All the Southwell rods I have were made at Station Rd between 60 and 65 so this might help to date your rod. The writing or labels on the rods are no sign of how to date. I have them with The Captain, JW Southwell and the Shops own label on them and they were all built in a 5 year period. The fly rod is 9' long 2 piece with low bells, lined tip and butt rings, trumpet flare cork with concave shoulder ring, Perzon fittings. The whippings are black and feature green with Green intermediates and feature orange close to the butt. I have used it a couple of times but am a coarse angler and am having it converted to a Roach rod at present(gasps). The rod was made for dry fly on Lough Corrib specifically as a custom order. There is no writing or labels on this rod to identify it however it was ordered directly from Station Rd. It has perhaps the darkest and nicest Southwell cane I have seen. The shades to vary from rod to rod and so colour is not guarantee in my experience although most are darker than the majority of cane I have seen and none can be described as blonde. I will try to put a couple of photos of the fly rod up as soon as I can work out how to access and load photos to the forum.

Kind regards

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Converted to a roach rod???? Noooooooooo!!!!

Digger
Minnow

Post by Digger »

Yes. I know that would raise a few sighs but it has sat with us virtually unused for 50 odd years and realistically I have about 20 seasons left in me and so I thought I would get some use out of the rod. The rod will effectively be left untouched apart from stripping the handle off and then duplicating the whipping down to a new male ferrule. This will then plug into a new butt section in Kennet Perfection style. I did think long and hard about it and wanted to experience that cane in my preferred style of fishing. It will give me 1 10'9''-11ft All through action rod, similar I hope to a Roach perfection but on Southwell cane. Fingers crossed....and apologies to the fly anglers and purists....

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Of course you are entitled to do what you wish to your tackle, I just think that this rod might be better off in the hands of someone (like Nigel Rainton?) who appreciates these rods as they were meant to be and you might be better off with an original of what you seek? No offence meant :Hat:

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Oh no !

I will buy it if it's not too late. I now have three (all signed) Southwell rods, all of which I use. To convert the rod to a roach rod would be bad.

PM being written . . . .

Digger
Minnow

Post by Digger »

None taken and I do understand your points. PM not received yet and I will reply.

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

PM sent again, previous message lost in space . . .

Digger
Minnow

Post by Digger »

Hope you are enjoying the rod Nigel.

Nigel and I shared a very nice morning recently. Made me reflect on the benefits the forum affords enthusiasts.Without the forum I would probably never have met another Southwell owner.

Tight lines everyone. :fishing1:

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Yes, and I am now the owner of the above rod which I have used. Hurrah, it's not going to be a roach rod :Chuckle:

https://sussex-trout-fishing.com/2021/0 ... thwell-iv/

Digger very generously gifted me a Pezon et Michel fly rod in need of a refurbishment. It's an interesting rod as it was made at Amboise in WWII during the German occupation of France! I have stripped the varnish and bought the correct eyes and silk. It's looking good so far.

Many, many thanks to Digger, it is a much prized possession :-)

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”