Boot sale rod 1850’s Help required.

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Fredline
Tench

Boot sale rod 1850’s Help required.

Post by Fredline »

I had to change the car over today and on the way home passed a “Bootie” so I popped in. Almongst the usual dross I found this rod and it just looked a little different to the usual greenhearts. It is an unmarked 7’, 2 piece with an ivory butt cap, spike ferrule with solid brass wraps throughout. It is quite a powerful rod most probably for Pike. The ferrules were stuck together and one ring was missing. The ferrules came apart quite easily and I had an identical replacement ring, I had 3 in fact.Picture 3 shows the new ring. The only references I found point to the mid to late 1800’s. I thought it would be rude of me not to spend £10. Can anyone in TFFLand shed any light on this rod? Thanks in advance, Fredline.ImageImageImage
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Harry H
Tench

Re: Boot sale rod 1850’s Help required.

Post by Harry H »

Looks a quality piece of kit Fred very intriguing :Hat:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Vetry nice,I would have been tempted myself!

OMR
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Mmmmm, interesting. An opportunity that just couldn't be passed up. I too would have willingly shed a tenner for such a nice article. I have never seen a rod like it and I'm amazed you had a matching ring!
Its clearly a beast of a rod, could it be a boat rod perhaps?
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

StefanDuma
Grayling

Post by StefanDuma »

Intriguing rod what about the tip ring?

Rods from the 1850's tend to have drop rings, this looks like a sea rod.

Stef

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

Hi Stefan, this is the tip.Image
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Hi John, 1st off what a lovely thing! a bargain at a tenner even if its just hung up and admired.

I wish I could shed some light on its history. I can make guesses and suppositions at best.

Not a fly or bottom rod I would have thought. It looks like it would have been expensive to me so that gives Salmon and Game fishing so traction.
I'm not authority and I've never seen rings quite like that so I'm guessing its not a salmon rod, they I'd have thought, have been well documented so would have rung bells with someone.
My completely un educated guess would be that it was made for game fish in the colonies, Manseer or something similar perhaps.
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

StefanDuma
Grayling

Post by StefanDuma »

Im certain its a sea rod especially with the porcelain tip ring at a guess 1890-1910, just a gut feeling.

Rod
Grayling

Post by Rod »

I've been watching this thread since it started, and cant hold back any longer :Chuckle: I reckon it was made by either OXO or Bovril, as it does look quite Beefy :Hahaha:
Sorry chaps.but I could not refrain from saying the above.
Rod :Hat:
An old man, who's only pleasure left in life, is sitting by some water, fiddling with his maggots?

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

What is the reel seat like please?

Had a flick through Turners Fishing Tackle but few rods! However ivory and the size of the butt knob seem to lend it to the mid 1800s. One or two pictures show similar around 1840 - 1865. By the turn of the century Hardy had buttons rather than lumpy knobs.

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”