J B Walker Carp?

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Re: J B Walker Carp?

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Its a very nice looking rod whatever it was originally intended for.....I would think it would make a good barbel rod for larger rivers, or a carp stalker or spinning for pike etc or fishing off a pier.....in fact anything that takes your fancy!
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Satt2006
Ruffe

Post by Satt2006 »

I'm all with you, carp and tench stalking, spinning ... and yes, I might give it a try for barbel.

(River Salzach / Salzburg - brown trout, rainbow trout, grayling, hucho hucho (danube salmon), sometimes barbel, sometimes burbot ...)

Christian

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Having seen the full length and the ring spacing I'd say it was built as a spinning rod. The action would indicate if it was a Salmon rod, which I still think it is, or if the action is lighter then a trout rod.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Satt2006
Ruffe

Post by Satt2006 »

I would say mid-flexish, around 1,5 lbs T.C.

Christian

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

The J B Walker (Newcastle) was a salmon spinning rod, 9’ and 10’ versions at just over 1 1/2lb and 1 3/4lb tests, I have the 10’ version, in need of restoring and all the lined guides ate either crushed or cracked. My plan was to restore with a carp rod style as many were pre the entry of the various Mk4 derived rods. J B Walker of Hythe who had the only official licence to make Kit form versions of the Mk4 were nothing to do with the Nottingham company of the same name, I asked Geoff Walker, the son of J B Walker of Hythe. Geoff also told me he thinks the family still have the original agreement signed by Richard Walker and his father. Some including me thing the blanks made by them in Hythe were some of the best examples of the rod, admittedly the build quality of those kits varied from rod to rod due to the skills of the kits builder but the cane it’s self when looked after is normally excellent in quality and action, a big reason for that is they were taught to make them bu none other Han Bob Southwell, Geoff remembers him going through the processes with their rod builders when he was a kid, he’s just turned 78, a lovely guy too. I look forward to hearing and seeing more from him soon, he’s only down the road from my workshop and came to see my rod building set up just after it arrived

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

I agree with you with the cane quality from JB Walker (Hythe) it is superb. I have this thing about MK1V Avon’s...and have a “few” by different makers, the JB ones are light and crisp in action and a joy to use...
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”