W.A Allcock Adonis rung with open bridge guides

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Olly
Wild Carp

Re: W.A Allcock Adonis rung with open bridge guides

Post by Olly »

Having had and used one - it seems preferable to be a good chub/small barbel & carp rod. There are better float rods and better ledgering rods but it seems to be great for using a lead for chub! Just my opinion.

Lucky Strike
Perch

Post by Lucky Strike »

Thanks for all the advice chaps. I intend to use it for light ledgering for chub & barbel hence my thinking that the low cradle guides would be more suitable. And look more like a barbel rod. I’ve already got a beefier cane barbel rod and numerous cane float rods.
It’s a shame the rings are so few as I was hoping to just replace them and do as little stripping of the blank as possible.

Lucky Strike
Perch

Post by Lucky Strike »

I’ve decided to replace the high bells with low bells. The problem I have is that once the old whipping is removed and the new ring in place, I’m going to have to make the whipping much wider than I’d like to cover the bare cane due to the low bells feet being much shorter. Any tips or do you think this would look ok?

Lucky Strike
Perch

Post by Lucky Strike »

I want to avoid stripping the blank ideally and just score the varnish at the edge of the old whippings

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Your honestly best off to strip the rod completely but I really urge you to consider leaving it as is, looks in nice condition, almost seems a shame to do it...... :Hat:

Lucky Strike
Perch

Post by Lucky Strike »

Problem is there’s a set to the tip and a knock on the female ferrule on the middle section

GhyllManor
Grayling

Post by GhyllManor »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:58 pm Hi Lucky Strike, I would leave the rings alone. You will gain nothing by fitting low mounted rings. The High Bells rings give you better line clearance in wet weather for casting float tackle or freelining.

Wal.
I quite agree with you Wal.
Ted

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”