Homer No. 57 and Flick ‘Em

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Duckett
Tench

Homer No. 57 and Flick ‘Em

Post by Duckett »

Being an angler with a strong interest in local history, back in December I made the decision to try to acquire a rod and reel from my nearest maker of the past - Homer’s of Forest Gate.

After corresponding with a number of people, I came to the conclusion that this could be a long term project. Well, that ended up not being true and I am now the very proud owner of a Homer No. 57 Combination rod and a Flick ‘Em with the elegant wire line guard and calliper check. In the next few weeks they will both be fishing again on their spiritual homes: the River Lea, the Lea Navigation and possibly the Hertford Union Canal.

Some pictures below but I must offer my sincere thanks to Lee (Ljm183) and Steve Middleton for their advice and help.

ImageImageImage
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Paul F
Sea Trout

Re: Homer No. 57 and Flick ‘Em

Post by Paul F »

A lovely local outfit, I hope it brings you much joy on the Lea :Thumb:

TraditionalAngling
Brown Trout

Post by TraditionalAngling »

Glad I could help Phil and thank you for the business once again.

Steve Middleton

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Congratulations on your "home " outfit.

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Absolutely splendid - it will be an absolute joy to use I am sure.

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Very nice indeed :Thumb:
I have a similar rod by Milwards called The Broxbourne
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

Homers was also my local tackle shop and I have had an affinity with the company ever since I first pressed my nose up against the window in the early 1960's. What you have is a great combo, well chosen. The problem now is you must have a back up. It never ends as you can see.Image
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

What a wonderful looking piece of cane, immaculate. Tight lines.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Marc wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:22 am What a wonderful looking piece of cane, immaculate. Tight lines.
It does indeed. Paul Cook restoration some years ago I am told. He did a pre-World War One rod for me early last year and the man is a true artist.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Fredline wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:14 am Homers was also my local tackle shop and I have had an affinity with the company ever since I first pressed my nose up against the window in the early 1960's. What you have is a great combo, well chosen. The problem now is you must have a back up. It never ends as you can see.Image
Thanks Fredline. Three questions out of interest. How do you find the telephone latch Flick Ems to fish with - they clearly aren’t a true pin but I can’t tell if they actually have a pre-ball race bearing fitted.

Also, that’s a lovely collection. Mine looks like yours on the far right of the second row from the front. Do you have any idea of age? I’m still trying to work out what the handle material is.

The back up, which I am almost certain will come, may have to wait until the fishing fund has recovered!

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”