J. Pale of Bow, London

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Harry H
Tench

Re: J. Pale of Bow, London

Post by Harry H »

I think it was LJM183 who had a rod from this shop and had some information to suggest that Don Neish of Don's of Edmonton worked here before opening his own shop.

Just found the post viewtopic.php?f=38&t=22165&p=299719&hil ... sh#p299719
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Deaf Cat
Grayling

Post by Deaf Cat »

Nice catch Mr H.!
Duffer - The man without skill of hand, without good eyesight and no longer young - the man who really ought to fish!
(H.M. Bateman / R.D. Peck)

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Gentlemen, you are an amazing source of information. My grateful thanks. All I need to do now is have a long think!

UPDATE - right, I did some digging around the old 3 letter telephone area codes in London and BOW is the Bowes Park part of Wood Green. So, definitely not an East End cane rod as I had hoped!

For anyone interested, this site answered the question http://rhaworth.net/phreak/tenp_01.php

I'll let the seller know!

Thanks again everyone.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Harry H wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:54 pm I think it was LJM183 who had a rod from this shop and had some information to suggest that Don Neish of Don's of Edmonton worked here before opening his own shop.

Just found the post viewtopic.php?f=38&t=22165&p=299719&hil ... sh#p299719
It,s my go to rod as a small river trotting rod. Nice and light easily usable all day.

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Duckett wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:31 am As my adopted home is in east London, I'd quite like to own a local rod and I've yet to see a Sowerbutts I can afford! Thanks in advance :Hat:
Look out for a Homer rod as they were not far from Bow/Stratford, in Woodgrange Rd. Forest Gate. they will be a bit cheaper than a Sowerbutts, some Homer rod,s were apparently made by Sowerbutts.

:Thumb:

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Thanks Lee, I will. Love your Pales by the way, she looks fantastic.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

I purchased through 'fleabay' about three years ago a round cane rod that is signed 'J Pales Ltd, Wood Green, London. 14ft'. The seller lived in Hoddesdon, Herts which coincidentally I once lived for two years and my brother still lives there, so the rod was hand delivered up north. I am hoping to used this very clean rod shortly, and will try and post a couple of shots of it.
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

I bought a J Pales rod off eBay last week. A 10' 6" Avon Deluxe, 3 piece all split cane, possibly hollow built (feels very light). The cane is very dark flamed and crisp. The rings, replacements were all corroded, the original whippings on the butt and interns are dark green with a slight twist (Jasper?) I've mimicked this using Bullard red and gold twist, dyed with acrylic ink!

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”