The Wharfe fly rod

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Jeremy Croxall
Zander

The Wharfe fly rod

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Here's some photos of "The Wharfe" as requested by Scott. It's a bit scruffy looking at present, hope it will look better following restoration!ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: The Wharfe fly rod

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I am sure with a little patience and care that will come up like new.

Wal.

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

some lightweight snake rings will improve the action without looking too out of place.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

SeanM wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:03 pm some lightweight snake rings will improve the action without looking too out of place.
I was wondering about rings Sean, I would prefer snake rings. I've seen black snake rings on vintage cane fly rods which look very nice. I presume "Guides and Blanks" or "Chapmans" are the places to search first, any further suggestions welcomed! :Hat:

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

Oooo, nice. Very straight. Keep us posted with the restoration. Thanks for showing us.... :Hat:

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

Jeremy Croxall wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:15 pm
SeanM wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:03 pm some lightweight snake rings will improve the action without looking too out of place.
I was wondering about rings Sean, I would prefer snake rings. I've seen black snake rings on vintage cane fly rods which look very nice. I presume "Guides and Blanks" or "Chapmans" are the places to search first, any further suggestions welcomed! :Hat:
These are the ones I used on my Milwards Flycraft:

http://www.guidesnblanks.com/product/69/category/261

These are American pattern (slightly more open form) snakes and they do the thicker version in various colours. I used a hayfork tip ring on my Flycraft for lightness. Your choice depends on how accurate you feel the need to be. You can use the original tip and butt ring, but I do think that snakes are better than bridge rings.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

SeanM wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:02 pm
Jeremy Croxall wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:15 pm
These are the ones I used on my Milwards Flycraft:

http://www.guidesnblanks.com/product/69/category/261

These are American pattern (slightly more open form) snakes and they do the thicker version in various colours. I used a hayfork tip ring on my Flycraft for lightness. Your choice depends on how accurate you feel the need to be. You can use the original tip and butt ring, but I do think that snakes are better than bridge rings.
Sean, they're exactly the rings I had in mind! The rod will be a user, not an exhibit so snakes will replace the bridge rings. I will be using modern plastic lines so snakes will be more appropriate I think.

Bobby Marlene
Arctic Char

Post by Bobby Marlene »

This will be a fantastic rod when finished. Please show us the result of your work! Bobby

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Bobby Marlene wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:44 pm This will be a fantastic rod when finished. Please show us the result of your work! Bobby
Thanks Bobby....I am now feeling a little under pressure following comments from your good self and Wal :Scared:

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”