R C Kirk 7' Spinning Rod

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Eddy Pools
Rudd

R C Kirk 7' Spinning Rod

Post by Eddy Pools »

I've recently been looking for a shortish cane spinning rod and a couple of weeks ago on an online auction site I came upon what looked like a good candidate amongst the new listings.

What caught my eye was the dark cane, clear lined butt and tip guides, trumpet handle, fine intermediate whippings, it was hand built, and even though the top section was almost certainly missing a couple of inches, it looked something of quality - and it had a very low starting price!

Thankfully nobody else bid and last week the rod was mine and it is much better than I expected.

The butt section is 44" long of which 16.5" is the handle including the button. The tip section is 42" long. The ferrules are a good tight fit and put together it has quite a stiff feel to it for such a slender rod. It does have a slight set in the top section and, even though the butt and tip guides are corroded, they are strong and the inserts are not cracked.

Image Image

The inscription on the rod reads "Hand built by RC. Kirk East Molesey" which I think from reading his book, A Fishy Tale, dates it to the early 60's

I have since cleaned the handle and the reel bands and will soon give it a try out and then decide whether to replace the guides (I'd prefer not to do so).

I'm really pleased to own this rod.

I would be most grateful if anyone could provide any further information about it as this is the only RC Kirk cane rod I've handled let alone owned - I'd be very interested to establish if anyone else has one like it (and if so what is their experience of using it), if this was the only size spinning cane rod he made, and if it is likely to be built on a Southwell blank.

Many thanks,
Geoff

Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: R C Kirk 7' Spinning Rod

Post by Nobby »

Well you obviously know a bit about the late Bob Kirk....I do have this:

He actually had two shops in that road, no 26, which is now an art gallery, moving across the road to a bigger shop next to the bank. Unable to keep up the repayments the bank shut him down.

He went to work for Pegley Davies, but perhaps he was still self-employed as he was declared bankrupt in 1966 and was taken on by East Anglia Rod Company building their 'glass rods on French Lerc blanks.

viewtopic.php?t=804

Eddy Pools
Rudd

Post by Eddy Pools »

Nobby,
Thank you very much for your reply.

It was your contribution in the thread you listed that got me interested in Bob Kirk in the first place.

I haven't had a chance to read his A Fishy Tale book properly yet but I did see his stated preference for general coarse rods - "I would use an 11 foot, three piece Avon style rod with split cane middle and top and whole Tonkin butt". He describes making these with 28" handles, 1" winch fittings, reinforced ferrules, low bells, and stand off agate butt and tip guides - there's something else to look for!

John Harding
Rudd

Post by John Harding »

E.P.
I have one of Robert Kirk's rods, it is a two piece 10ft MK IV Avon and this one has Hampton Court as part of the script on the butt section. It is a really nice rod to use and in fact I entered a post last year regarding a session on a lake in south Shropshire when I managed a few tench and a small carp using the rod. I have not tested the rod on a larger carp yet, so I am unable to comment on how it would handle one, the tench went up to about 3lbs and whilst that is not a very large specimen it still put a good fight and the rod handled it very nicely. I would recommend reading his book, I am sure you will find it very interesting, he certainly lead a very interesting life.

A couple of photos attached :-

Regards,
John

Eddy Pools
Rudd

Post by Eddy Pools »

John,
Thank you for your information and pictures - that picture of the tench, rod, reel, and float is lovely.
I have started reading his book now - he mentions MKIV Avons several times.
I'm sure it would have been quite special to meet him.
Best Regards,
Geoff

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I used to pass the shop in East Molesey as a teenager on my bike whilst on my way to the rivers Ember and Mole from Strawberry Hill in Twickenham!

I cannot however remember going in to buy anything!

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”