S. BAIRD - GUDGEON ROD

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
John Harding
Rudd

S. BAIRD - GUDGEON ROD

Post by John Harding »

Good evening all,

Earlier in the year I purchased a couple of rods at Southern Counties Auctions, perhaps they were entered by one of our members, one was named the chub general, which I have not had the chance to try yet. The other was a two piece split cane rod with a badge on it which says :- Gudgeon
S. Baird, I think it has been made from fly rod blanks, it may even be a converted fly rod, as near as I can measure it is 8ft 9". Anyway I thought it would make a good tiddler snatching rod, so yesterday afternoon I decided to see if it lived up to its name and I took it down to the canal for a couple of hours.

The rod :-

It was quite a nice afternoon/evening and I had quite a few dog walkers and general strollers, one or two looked at me a bit funny when they saw a cane rod and a centre pin reel, not the usual 13 metres of carbon fibre being shipped backwards and forwards. I had even more to contend with on the water, with a steady stream of boats, being the first week of the school holidays there were plenty of hire boats about. Fortunately most of them were heading towards Chester and the natural flow of the canal is in the same direction, it just changed the opposite way when there was the odd boat going towards Nantwich.

As I am not very good at casting a great distance with a centre pin I just fished off the end of the rod, I had a decent amount of bites but unfortunately I was unable to find any of the fish the rod was named after, i.e. gudgeon. I did though manage to catch 7 small roach and 1 small perch which were about the same size as gudgeon, plus one small skimmer bream and one small eel. I think the rod will be great for small fish and next time I will try it with a small fixed spool reel and fish at a greater distance and see what it is like at picking up line on the strike.

Regards,
John

p.s. When I was at the cane & pin match I did ask our honorary vice president if perhaps S. Baird was a member of his side of the clan, sadly it isn't

Rod
Grayling

Re: S. BAIRD - GUDGEON ROD

Post by Rod »

I've just finished refurbishing a "Gobio" rod, it was a four piece travel type, with a large folding butt ring, original maker was "L'Artiglio", and was ringed like a spinning rod, but the tip is to fine for that? I will take some photo's tomorrow and add them to this post.
Rod :Hat:

This is the only image tinypics will let me upload :hairpull:
Last edited by Rod on Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
An old man, who's only pleasure left in life, is sitting by some water, fiddling with his maggots?

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

I had a rather fine tipped spinning rod with rather large rings on it.. it was a 3 section rod that was used at last year's Wally Gonk Bash... earlier on this year the rod winged it's way to our own WallysCast and his magic was weaved upon it... Corks extended up the rod, more suitable hi bells and a complete rewhip with intermediates... now with a delightful Ariel Popular 3.5" it is a superb little Gudgeon rod, fine in the tip but with enough backbone to handle much bigger fish... the outfit is an utter joy to use...
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

John Harding wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:19 pm Good evening all,

Earlier in the year I purchased a couple of rods at Southern Counties Auctions, perhaps they were entered by one of our members, one was named the chub general, which I have not had the chance to try yet. The other was a two piece split cane rod with a badge on it which says :- Gudgeon
S. Baird,

p.s. When I was at the cane & pin match I did ask our honorary vice president if perhaps S. Baird was a member of his side of the clan, sadly it isn't
Dear John,

A splendid catch of fish.

However, what tickled the Mole, for it is he, was the name on your tiddler rod. It would only take a minor bit of surgery to rename it M.Baird in honour of his newly entitled immenseness Ashby Cut, especially as it is designed expressly for the fish favoured by Mal :Hat:

With such an honourable name on the rod it can only enhance the tiddler snatching experience to previously undreamed of heights :Chuckle:

Surely this is too good an opportunity to be missed?

As ever,.......

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

John Harding
Rudd

Post by John Harding »

Thanks Moley,

Yes, the thought had crossed my mind.

Regards,
John

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Moley wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:04 amIt would only take a minor bit of surgery to rename it M.Baird in honour of his newly entitled immenseness Ashby Cut, especially as it is designed expressly for the fish favoured by Mal :Hat:
DON'T YOU DARE !!!!! It would be sacrilege to 'doctor' it in any way.

It looks absolutely wonderful ... and obviously works ... and I'm not at all envious !!! :mrgreen: :whistle:

By the by ... the writing looks like J Baird ... or are my eyes going ?
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Rod
Grayling

Post by Rod »

Bloody tiny pic not working, cant post my Gobio rod :hairpull:
Rod :Hat:
An old man, who's only pleasure left in life, is sitting by some water, fiddling with his maggots?

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

I agree Mal, it does look like a "J" :Hat:
My own gobio slayer of choice is a Allcocks Viking with a greenheart tip.
It will be getting it's annual outing at this year's wally jolly

AllRounder
Brown Trout

Post by AllRounder »

If Carlsberg made a gudgeon rod.......

I hope the maker doesn't mind me showing this I snaffled it last minute on an auction site.
Gudgeon played such a large part in my youthful match fishing days I couldn't resist.ImageImage

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

AllRounder wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:30 pmIf Carlsberg made a gudgeon rod.......
I thought Carlsberg made ALL gudgeon rods !!! ... and that's a superb acquisition, Sir. :Hat:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”