"AshbyCut's Roisteach Snas" - The Final Stretch.

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

"AshbyCut's Roisteach Snas" - The Final Stretch.

Post by AshbyCut »

It makes me smile to think that the first email I had from the Gentlemen at Chance Cane asking me if I'd like to design a rod for myself dropped into my in-box on the 1st of April, 2015. If it had come from anyone else I'd have looked at the date and immediately thought it was an 'April Fool' prank.

It wasn't ... and the intervening stages have been well documented on the TFF in the following threads :-

viewtopic.php?f=351&t=17632&p=241815&hilit=Snas#p241815

http://www.traditionalfisherman.co.uk/v ... 38&t=17727

viewtopic.php?f=351&t=17988&p=246603&hilit=Snas#p246603

They say "The best things come to those who wait" ... and the waiting for the second butt section is almost at an end. It's taken slightly longer than Dr. Chance would have liked, but the calls on the time of this multi-talented musician/artist/artisan craftsman/angler are many and various !!! However, the masking tape is coming off the newly varnished butt section made to my original specification ... hollow built split cane. A few days of varnish 'curing' and it will be winging it's way to me ... to sit proudly with the tip and the other butt section in the special 3 section 'Chance Cane' bag.

Dr. Cane has sent a few pictures taken on a phone camera ... and I'm delighted to share these in anticipation of it's arrival.

Given the events of the past couple of months ... this has raised my spirits more than I can say !!!

Thank you, Chance Cane.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

NiceRoach
Eel

Re: "AshbyCut's Roisteach Snas" - The Final Stretch.

Post by NiceRoach »

Great rod for a great guy :tea:
niceroach

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

There's a very excited chap sitting in my Man Cave ... and it's me !!! At 5.25pm this evening the second butt section of my Chance Cane 'AshbyCut's Roisteach Snas' arrived on my doorstep. This is the all split cane, hollow built section with a 27 inch handle ... to compliment the whole cane spliced to hollow built split cane one I received earlier.

The made up rod with the whole cane/split cane butt measures 11ft 1in in length, and weighs in at 12.95oz (367gr.) ... and with the all split cane tip 11ft 3in in length and 13.20oz (375gr.) Needless to say, the skills of Jakobus surpass my expectations !!! Thank you, Sir !!!

Too dark to take proper photos now ... but here's a few 'teasers' until the sun shines tomorrow. (The logo and inscription ... the handle and turned wood button .. the hand-crafted ceramic lined butt guide.)

Image Image Image
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Well chuffed for you Mal!
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Galician
Ruffe

Post by Galician »

Many of us think that items of real beauty are beyond us, this proves they are not.

Congratulations on a wonderful Rod.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

A wonderful rod Mal and a dream come true, you have every reason to be excited. Well done to all involved :clap: :clap:

Wal.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

A fine creation fit for a fine Gentleman, may it bring you many fine fish!
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

Looking splendid.....now it needs a bend in it!
Say aye tae'a pie!

Lovatt
Perch

Post by Lovatt »

Hello Mal, very nice rod!

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”