ss6 andss7 rods

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Tengisgol
Barbel

Re: ss6 andss7 rods

Post by Tengisgol »

Thank-you Shaun for all your help, the ring spacings will come in very handy and I shall apply that accurately. I might take you up on the offer of some rings, will see how I get on.

I can recall owning AC2's and SS6A's back in the eighties (long since gone) before I moved onto Conoflex rods and Bamford Optonics, that were procured for me by a certain Mr Stritton. 'Old School' maybe but not very traditional! Still have them in the garage though somewhere.

Delighted with my SS5 though!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Noodle

Post by Noodle »

I've two that sort of fit these I know they are both north western but the models I'm not sure of
Left hand is 10 ft and 1 lb Tc
Right is 11 ft and 1.75
Any ideas

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

The 10ft one will be a WS1 which was rated at 1lb 2oz test curve.

The 11ft one will be a AC6

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

I attended the Nottingham Piscatorial Society meeting last week and had someone come up to me and mention he still had two of my old rods that I had sold him in 1981 at a time when I was upgrading all of my gear. He couldn't remember what they were but said they were very soft tench type rods and when I sold them I had mentioned I had built them for a very weedy water where the carp had incredibly soft mouths. I asked if they were whipped in brown and straight away he said yes. I remembered them well, they were a pair of AC2's 11ft 1 1/4lb test curve. I loved those rods and had caught lots of carp on them much larger than the rods had been produced to cope with.
Imagine my delight when he mentioned they still had my original build (leather handles, Fuji BSPHG guides and so on). Nice to know they have lasted all of these years and even nicer to hear the sweet words...

"You can have them back if you want - I don't want anything for them".

I would have been happy enough with a photograph of them but it will be nicer still to go and catch a fish with them again, 33 years on.

Noodle

Post by Noodle »

Shaun thank you for that they were my dads I remeber him getting the 10 ft one and used it a lot growing up

It makes up for the FC scare you gave me all those years ago :Thumb:

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Erm' :Confused: FC scare?

Fluorocarbon?

Noodle

Post by Noodle »

Shaun Harrison wrote:Erm' :Confused: FC scare?

Fluorocarbon?

not you then? biting it.... im tempted to say crafty carper in the mid90's
im rushing though getting gear ready for tomorrow well minimising it as much as i can for a day on the canal piking

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Yes, it was whilst I was writing my 'Around the Trade' monthly column that Steve Church (Bob Church's son) came in the shop and warned that lots were becoming ill from biting Fluorocarbon lines. As a matter of duty I added it to my monthly column passing on the information and suggesting people kept it well clear of their mouth's and only cut it with scissors.

That created a bit of a reaction I can tell you. As soon as the magazine was released the Japanese dropped down on me big time with a long specification analysis sheet and telling me how it was being used safely in hospitals for stitching various parts of the human body together with no adverse effects. I had to write a piece in the following month saying it looked like I had been misguided.

I then moved my desk in case a squadron of Kamikaze pilots came en-mass in their Mitsubishi aircraft to fly through my window.

You have a great memory :Thumb:

Caractacus Potts
Roach

Post by Caractacus Potts »

An interesting thread this one. I had three AC2's made up for me by Barry Jonas ( I think ?) at Bob Frost Tackle in about 1987. They were for close range carping, and for tenching too. They had the luminous Fuji rings, as you say Shaun, and also a black rubbery, Isograine handle.

They are still upstairs in the spare room as I speak. I keep threatening to take them out and fish with them.

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

I still can't believe I've got mine back after 32 years being apart http://www.traditionalfisherman.co.uk/v ... 28&t=15950

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”