ss6 andss7 rods

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Tizer
Chub

ss6 andss7 rods

Post by Tizer »

Hello all,Ive got two green fibre glass rods,both 2 piece, one has green whippings,one has black whippings with red trim,They are11ft,I have always thought they were a SS6 and SS7,I cant remember if I made them myself or not,the whippings look to good for me,they have a heat shrink handle and a whip onreel fitting,someone told me that they are prob sportex blanks as north western SS6 and 7 are black .Any thoughts please

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Re: ss6 andss7 rods

Post by Shaun Harrison »

North Western SS7's and SS6's started off life green, then brown and finally black in around 1980.

SS7's were 11ft 1lb test curve and the SS6's 10ft 10in originally then became 11ft with a test curve of 2 1/2lb

Tizer
Chub

Post by Tizer »

Shaun Harrison wrote:North Western SS7's and SS6's started off life green, then brown and finally black in around 1980.

SS7's were 11ft 1lb test curve and the SS6's 10ft 10in originally then became 11ft with a test curve of 2 1/2lb
I ,am so grateful for that info,i must have two SS6 then ,one of them is 2" shorter,i thought it had broken some time in the past ,and they must be around 2 1/2lb,cos I used them for piking.happy days.Thankyou for reply :Thumb:

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

You're welcome, I sold a lot of those in my time.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

I have just come across a brand new SS5 blank (it's brown) which I am delighted about. It has a full cork handle but no rings. I was go0ing to use Fuji BNHG's - any thoughts on that anyone, would they have been used at that time?
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

The luminous polymer shock insert lined BNHG guides were the ultra-cult most modern thing to put on them at the time. Yes the green bit was luminous, most never realised but shine a torch on them and they shone back. I slept most nights with a bedroom full of glow in the dark rod eyes propped up against the wall.

They were certainly around when North Western were doing the blanks in brown (they were whilst there were still green blanks around as well). Not sure if the green insert BNHG's are still available?
Caught my first 20lb pike and 20lb carp on SS5's - 11ft 2lb test curve.

Carp Artist
Arctic Char

Post by Carp Artist »

Shaun Harrison wrote:The luminous polymer shock insert lined BNHG guides were the ultra-cult most modern thing to put on them at the time. Yes the green bit was luminous, most never realised but shine a torch on them and they shone back. I slept most nights with a bedroom full of glow in the dark rod eyes propped up against the wall.

They were certainly around when North Western were doing the blanks in brown (they were whilst there were still green blanks around as well). Not sure if the green insert BNHG's are still available?
Caught my first 20lb pike and 20lb carp on SS5's - 11ft 2lb test curve.
I remember them well Shaun.
Not a fish was visible that first time I visited Beechmere; an utter
stillness brooded over the place and I felt the strange and sinister atmosphere which, so the story goes,
has been the cause of several suicides.’
BB – Confessions of a Carp Fisher

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Thought I would share a bit from one of the catalogues I wrote for Walkers of Trowell during my 25 years there.

The BNHG referred to earlier.

This may be useful if you are building the SS5 blank. These measurements were North Western's own recommendations for their rods.

Stef
Rudd

Post by Stef »

I think the original green insert BNHGs are no longer available, but there is a replacement with a slightly different shade of colour. I ordered some of them a few years ago from this seller.

http://www.blakdogtackle.com/?cPath=59_67

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

I possibly have a few sets of second hand ones if you get stuck and want to use what was used originally. I would have to have a search through my rod guide collection.

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”