Partridge rod

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Macko
Grayling

Partridge rod

Post by Macko »

Martin, could you help me.
A few years ago i purchased a rod from Barry Arbury . He told me it was made for yourself, it is a Partridge of Redditch impregnated 11ft Carp with
i think Seymo Hardlon rings. I was wondering if you could remember the date of manufacture.
Regards Macko.

Weyfarer

Re: Partridge rod

Post by Weyfarer »

Quite by chance I've just come across a "Partridge spilt cane carp rod" review in the December 1981 issue of Coarse Fishing Monthly. Interestingly the review is by Chris Yates but frustratingly CY does not tell us what model rod he is reviewing!
This is what he had to say:

Partridge's spilt-cane has a reputation for being the best on the market but this carp rod is not really a typical example of the Partridge quality. The finish is only average, though I like very much the colour of the whippings. I'm not happy about the Fuji butt and tip rings - its like putting racing-tyres on a classic Bentley. As to its handling, this rod is much too powerful for the majority of my carp fishing. It's ideal for hauling a big fish away from snags or lily-beds and it can bang out heavy leger tackle fairly effortlessly, but for freelining light baits under normal cionditions it really is a bit too meaty, and the rod isn't flexible enough to throw a light leger very far. Also, the handle is too thick and makes the rod feel slightly cumbersome.

The rod has a nice progressive action, but, because of its tremendous power, it's a tool I would reserve for those rare occasions when, to get the fish I'm after, it's not a question of hitting and holding, but hitting and hauling. I hope very much that Partridge bring out a lighter-actioned carp rod for, with their experience in cane, I'm positive it would be a very sucessful weapon indeed.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I think the very best classic Bentleys like the blown 4 1/2 litre that did so well at Le Mans looked fantastic with its racing tyres, even if Ettore Bugatti did call them racing trucks.

I think Bugatti would have approved of the Altex.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

I`ve got a Partridge of Redditch "Clarissa Four/Forty Four" 10ft 2pc hand built split cane carp rod. A limited edition, only 44 made in 1988 to celebrate Richard Walker's British record carp Clarissa. A light straw finish, full red agate guide, whipped in gold, tipped black, bronze ferrule with wooden stopper. 24in cork trumpet handle, sliding alloy reel fittings. Thats also a bit of a carp rod. I think Chris Ball has number one.....

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Merlot wrote:I`ve got a Partridge of Redditch "Clarissa Four/Forty Four" 10ft 2pc hand built split cane carp rod. A limited edition, only 44 made in 1988 to celebrate Richard Walker's British record carp Clarissa. A light straw finish, full red agate guide, whipped in gold, tipped black, bronze ferrule with wooden stopper. 24in cork trumpet handle, sliding alloy reel fittings. Thats also a bit of a carp rod. I think Chris Ball has number one.....

One was up for sale on ebay a few months ago. I think it was on at around £700 but it failed to sell. Apparently according to the seller most went to Japan, which I found very surprising if true.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

Beresford wrote:
Merlot wrote:I`ve got a Partridge of Redditch "Clarissa Four/Forty Four" 10ft 2pc hand built split cane carp rod. A limited edition, only 44 made in 1988 to celebrate Richard Walker's British record carp Clarissa. A light straw finish, full red agate guide, whipped in gold, tipped black, bronze ferrule with wooden stopper. 24in cork trumpet handle, sliding alloy reel fittings. Thats also a bit of a carp rod. I think Chris Ball has number one.....

One was up for sale on ebay a few months ago. I think it was on at around £700 but it failed to sell. Apparently according to the seller most went to Japan, which I found very surprising if true.
That is a tad OTT, £700 a bit optimistic. I also cannot see the rod being popular in Japan, now a fly rod that’s a different kettle of fish entirely. Much the time at Mullocks and Chiswick Auctions, a fine specimen has been swept away to the land of the rising sun!

Mike Wilson
Perch

Post by Mike Wilson »

Merlot

I was sent number 13. Still unused in its mahogany rod case with Silver escutcheon.

Mike

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

Mike Wilson wrote:Merlot

I was sent number 13. Still unused in its mahogany rod case with Silver escutcheon.

Mike

Ditto, mines still in a virgin condition, I`ve had a wiggle, when she first arrived, but thats all. Mines number 29, the only thing which lets mine down is that the box has a hair line crack 3" along the edge of the lid. lid and the sliver escuttcheon has tarnished badly....

Mike Wilson
Perch

Post by Mike Wilson »

Merlot

The tarnishing shows that it is silver. My 'box' has a slight warp which is not surprising. The rod sees daylight at my talks as the audience likes to give the rod a waggle. Nice rod though, I really should use it in anger before my time is up. Perhaps this year. Had it in the car to show Stu at The Lands End pub but ran out of time and car park!!

Mike

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

The only problem with the sliver escuttcheon, is that the silver plate is so thin, that when it tarnished, a quick polish created some very interesting patterns on the surface.
I`m sorry I dont know "Stu" who you refer to at the Lands End pub, was this at any of the book launches?....

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”