Chapman's rods

The Chapmans Rods forum.
Snape
Bailiff

Re: Chapman's rods

Post by Snape »

The Sweetcorn Kid wrote:I did wonder, it would seem that Snape is a very well educated man. But then, most teachers are.... :hat:
Just a humble potions' master :wink:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Rich

Post by Rich »

Chapmans can and still do produce some top quality blanks To what ever spec you desire by whatever processes you wish They still produce rods for retailers and production rods for some makers. The mk4 was a different action in the hand but i feel that resulted from production not quality. Never over look any of there rods in mint condition. If damaged walk away as there are a lot available.
To me the fun of cane has always been find something you like get out there and use it. many of the top retailers used several makers depending on demand and much of the production carried out on milling machines not by hand as some hype would have you believe. It follows that if the same people were making many rods Then many similar rods were made carrying a range of brand names, but what a mine field it can be! Look at the quality of the fittings and finish. Check the retailers reputation above all try it if you can!
Get a micrometer mask off the jaws so as not to damage the varnish and start a collection of tapers measure "flat to flat" every 5" or so by plotting a graph compared to rods of known characteristics you can have an idea of your next purchase and not buy another bundle on kindling (not a bad idea for this site a taper archive ?)
finally don't be afraid of broken or set tips there are ammatur makers and many commercial makers who can copy a section at a very reasonable rate old country sport shops farm supply shops etc are a good place to ask
Good luck hunting
If it looks too good to be true you may have found the one that got through (My avocet has little value but it is still the same rod minus its badges but it cost very little)
If it sounds too good to be true then it probably is!!!!!!!

PerchBasher

Post by PerchBasher »

Nice rod the Chapman 500 and in my view its better balanced than top end cane rods costing much more. I have two, one with the original rings for touch ledgering, the other re-ringed with high bells rings for float fishing.

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

perchbasher wrote:Nice rod the Chapman 500 and in my view its better balanced than top end cane rods costing much more. I have two, one with the original rings for touch ledgering, the other re-ringed with high bells rings for float fishing.
I agree. I've got a 500 that I rebuilt from what I was very afraid was a hopeless case. I've had Barbel to double figures on it :o

I've also got a fully (and very nicely) restored 550 and I much prefer the action of the 500, although it is a bit light to risk Summer fishing on the Yorkshire rivers with; a nice winter chub rod that can handle the occasional niusance fish!
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

This looks like a nice example of a 500 and only one careful owner.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120811895797? ... 1423.l2649
"piscator non solum piscatur"

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

J.T wrote:This looks like a nice example of a 500 and only one careful owner.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120811895797? ... 1423.l2649
The 500 is a nice rod but some real 'dogs' out there. I prefer the 500 deluxe with lined tip and butt rings.
The 550, being the carp rod but being lighter than the MKIV makes a good floater rod. Again the deluxe is nicer.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Haydn Clarke

Post by Haydn Clarke »

And much of it, according to both John and Brian, is destined for the United States. Given the size of that market, the large "hand planer" hobyist, as well as the more established manufacturing companies, it must be something akin to selling ice to Eskimos. Pretty much tells us what we need to know about the quality of their blanks.

Below is a picture of the butt guide on my 550. I'd love to say I done this but alas, it was already done when I bought the rod. there does appear to be some initials just up from the butt guide that looks like PJW a date from just a few years ago. The second guide is also agate lined and John told that they would never have added a second agate. So this has undoubtedly been restored, and judging by the wipping by someone very good. I had to varnish it up a bit more though as there was barely any finish on the rod. It also has the copper wire whippings at the ferruls too.

BobH

Post by BobH »

I had 3 Chapman rods made up a few years ago by a brilliant old Rod Maker (George Howell) who has now sadly passed away.

They were 11ft MkIV Carp, an 11ft MkIV Avon and a 12ft Kennet Perfection (Detachable Handle).

I use them all the time and they are fantastic rods.

http://www.chapmanblanks.co.uk

Bob

BobH

Post by BobH »

My George Howell made Chapmans rods

Kennet Perfection
Mk. 1V Avon
Mk. 1V Carp
Last edited by BobH on Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

They are lovely Bob, you are a lucky chap! :hat:
"piscator non solum piscatur"

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”